Thursday, June 24, 2021

What's For Dinner?

 Good Morning!

The foxes were at it again last night.  this time it was 3:30 a.m. rather than 1:20 a.m.  Still....

Yesterday ended up being a bit longer in the office.  I was busy (again) but finally got out around 11:30...stopped at the State Store to re-stock the wine supply and then was home by Noon.  Had to immediately plug in and work another 2 hours before taking a break, but managed to get done what I set out to do at 8 a.m.!  Whew.  I've a bunch of reports to run and distribute this a.m., but otherwise I think the day will flow nicely.

There were more people in the office than I had seen in months (like 15 months)!  Most I spoke with indicated they have plans to be in the office one day per week and then work from home the balance of the time...sort of my plan too.

It's Thursday, so let's talk food, shall we?  Earlier this week I made Enchilada Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms.  I hope I haven't already given this recipe, but I haven't looked back to see.  So, here goes.

Chop and saute in EVOO:

  • 1 Onion
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 1 clove garlic

Add in:

  • 1 Cup frozen corn
  • 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

Cook a little and add in:

  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • S&P
  • 1 TBS lime juice
  • 3TBS chopped cilantro
  • 1 can (small - 6 or 8 oz maybe?) enchilada sauce (red or green - both are good!)

Heat oven to 400.  Remove gills from the shrooms (a spoon works well for this) and spoon mixture into the shrooms.  Bake ~ 20-25 minutes.  Pull out of oven and add shredded cheese on top (any kind - I like cheddar, Fletch likes parm).  I also add sliced jalapenos to mine.  Put them back in the oven till cheese is melted.

My mixture this week filled 4 medium sized portobello mushrooms.  We each ate one and two are left over for lunch for Fletch.  Sometimes I have filling left over - not bad warmed up the next day for lunch!

None of the ingredients are cast in stone.  This week I threw in chopped yellow summer squash, scallions and garlic scapes.  I've added spinach or kale and other veggies as well.  Olives are a good addition.  I usually make guacamole to serve with it.  I did that this week and then forgot to get it out of the frig - LOL (aging brain...I can't remember squat!).  I think crumbled cooked Italian sausage (hot & sweet) would be a good addition, but of course then it wouldn't be vegetarian.

Anywho - a very adaptable and delicious recipe.  Hope you enjoy!!

Happy Thursday - inching closer to the weekend is a good thing!

13 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds absolutely wonderful! I can almost smell it! Hope work goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn those foxes!! (and I really wish Steve was not deathly allergic to mushrooms... that recipe looks amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a mom and two babies out there now barking in the backyard all night. All I have to do is open the window and they scoot but that means I have to get up. They may be cute as can be but what a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I haven’t eaten a portobello in years. I love them grilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This would also be good in a tortilla or over rice. Love these easy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love mushrooms so I'm glad you shared this recipe.
    I'm glad people are getting somewhat back to the office, at least for check-in's. I honestly think there is more productivity at home rather than in an office. There is less talking around the office water fountain.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipe sounds yummy!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My buddy Fireman LOVES mushrooms. This recipe is a keeper

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Vera. That sounds wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing another great recipe! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may make this filling and serve it in soft tortillas. Thanks for a terrific recipe, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious! My kid wouldn't eat it (she doesn't do mushrooms), but my husband and I would!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those foxes do not want you to sleep! I wonder what party they are having that you are not invited to?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are getting a balance of work and home, but those foxes!!!! Stay safe and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete