Monday, January 31, 2022

Weekending

 Good Morning!

How are you?  How was your weekend?  Ours was snowy and cold, but we were spared unlike a lot of New England and the coast line.  Our snow started Friday morning and continued most of the day.  However, it was so fine and falling so lightly we hardly had any accumulation.  It started again overnight and I heard the snow plow go up and down the street early, early - like 3 or 4 a.m.  Saturday morning we woke up to 3" or so and it was still snowing.

Mabel ventured out several times, but stayed on the patio.


Once she came in, bird tracks accompanied her tracks on the patio.  The birds were feeding steadily all day long.  It snowed till about Noon and Fletch said we ended up with about 5" which is not a whole lot.  Luckily it was dry powdery snow and he had an easy time clearing the cars and making some paths (out to the bird feeder to fill it, out to the compost to dump stuff), clearing the sidewalk and front porch (so Amazon can easily deliver!!).


It was pretty, but quite cold and the wind was howling.  We did not venture out (well, Fletch did to shovel, but I stayed inside).  Usually we do grocery shopping on the weekend, but with plenty of food, there was no need.  It is still pretty chilly (10 this morning), so I think it will be another day at home.

The weekend filled up quickly.  I baked a chocolate olive oil cake (Smitten Kitchen recipe), made some veggie dumplings for lunch, cleaned bathrooms and did a bunch of laundry.  There were naps, reading, stitching and knitting and last night we watched "Around the World in 80 Days" and "All Creatures Great and Small."  A nice balance of chores and fun things.

Let's hope the start to the week is a good one.  It is supposed to warm up to the 40's by Tuesday or Wednesday - time to haul out the grill again!!

Happy Lunar New Year to all - Year of the Tiger!!

14 comments:

  1. It sounds like a perfect winter weekend, Vera! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a light dusting of snow as well, but with only about 3 inches of accumulation in total. The cold is ... bitter... even a quick jaunt out with Sherman is requiring all the layers of wool! Ha!

    I am loving ACGS and 80 Days... such lovely lovely diversions to the nonsense swirling around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was cold but I do enjoy being out in freshly-fallen snow and looking at the bird and critter tracks. I'm ready for a warm-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's supposed to warm up here and I am looking forward to above freezing temperatures and walking without the multiple layers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be nice to have it a bit warmer for you! The snow does look pretty! I'm glad the storm wasn't worse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were able to stay put, even if you didn't get a huge dumping of snow. It's still preferable to stay inside when it's cold and snowy out!

    We're supposed to get a warm-up mid-week as well, and I'm hoping it will melt some of the snow and ice before the next storm comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love olive oil cakes. They come together so fast and they really have a unique flavor and texture. Since I still have no oven (!) I keep meaning to try to make one in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake sounds so good! I cleaned bathrooms over the weekend as well. We've got a muddled forecast for the midweek, but a big storm and snow dump coming Friday. 6-8 more inches of snow, and I am not okay with it. There is nowhere left to put it all. Someone, make it STOP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you had such a peaceful and lowkey weekend. We all need that once in awhile. Also glad that your area avoided being dumped on. We have only had one dusting of snow and one storm with about 6-8 inches so far. That's really unusual and although I like it, the farmers are getting worried. It was almost 60F over the weekend and today is supposed to be 59F. Temps are predicted to plummet though, later in the week. I'm planning to take Zoey for a nice long walk later today. She'll love that.
    I've never heard of olive oil cakes. I'm going to have to look that up.
    Take care and stay warm.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snowy days are wonderful to stay home and watch the snow fall. Thankfully, I don’t have to worry about shoveling or driving to work anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Mabel is hardy girl. Giroux stayed in bed almost all weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just printed out that recipe because it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your weekend sounds lovely. It's always good to get a few chores done but not too many as to crowd out any fun. The Smitten Kitchen recipes are good. Thanks for reminding me about that blog.

    ReplyDelete