Thursday, January 6, 2022

A Walk Along the Canal

 Good Morning!

No food post today.  Last night we just had some boiled shrimp along with roasted veggies (a kind of cleaning out the frig dinner).  It was good, but nothing worthy of sharing a recipe.  Tonight we are having vegetable beef soup that I took out of the freezer to thaw.  Colin had requested this along with corn muffins.  His last Thursday night dinner with us for some time as they leave next week for TX.  Boo-Hoo.

Anyway, I did bundle up yesterday and go for a walk.  Fleece leggings (again), a turtleneck and wool sweater (again), wool socks and sneakers, glove liners and fingerless mitts over those.  A headband and my sockhead cowl which I pulled up over my head.  I took a selfie, but it didn't look very nice, so no sharing.

I drove over to the trail that runs between the canal and the river.  My car was the only one in the parking lot.  Three separate runners passed me as well as a bicyclist, but that was it.  No other people around.  Just the way I love it.

Initially my feet and hands were cold, but they warmed up after a bit.  The decorated Christmas tree trail-side is still there, but the bench that had decorations on it has been cleared.  Yesterday was the 12th day of Christmas, so I guess the holidays are officially over now.  I noticed that ice was beginning to form on the canal.


There were plenty of ducks in the water - they don't mind the frigid temps.  No fowl in the above picture, but if you click to enlarge, you can see the bits of ice here and there.

One thing I love about walking in winter is looking at trees.  With no leaves or undergrowth showing, you can see the wanderings of their trunks.  Also the various vines that wrap themselves around the trees.


Walking along, I was surprised to see an osage orange on the trail.  Those trees are common around here, but I don't recall seeing any along the trail.


At any rate, a bright spot of yellow was a welcome sight among such browns and greys.

On my way back I was rewarded with seeing a blue heron - finally!!


To me, herons are such majestic birds.  I love to watch them walk/wade.  This one continued over to the side and went onto the land.  He was right at the edge of the river.

I'm hoping to get out for another walk today.  Probably not till the afternoon.  This is Thursday and my morning is full of running financial reports and sending them out.  I also have two bathrooms that are screaming to be cleaned.

Mabel is continuing to explore outside and loving it.  Gosh she is a fast runner.  Fletch says she runs like a gazelle - long leaps.  She can be at the back edge of our garden just before our woods in a flash.  The other day I saw her at the edge of the woods, so I opened the door and called her just to see what would happen.  She looked up, saw me and ran for the house.  She came in, talked a bit and then went back out.  She is definitely keeping us entertained!

14 comments:

  1. We saw lots of herons in Florida, but I don't think I've ever seen one this far north (although I've never really looked for them). They are such graceful birds.

    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who pulls her Sockhead Cowl up in the winter! On the really cold days, I'll have it up over my head and most of my face, just keeping my eyes uncovered. It looks ridiculous but keeps me warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue herons fascinate me, I'm jealous you saw one!

    Mabel sounds like she would be a good friend for Pip - they could talk all day and entertain each other. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't walked in MD the past few days because I've been too cold. My Sockhead Cowl is in NJ and I am definitely bringing it back with me. I hope you get out today before we get snow tomorrow. I love to go to the creek by my BiL's house as we almost always see herons there, both green and blue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for taking us on your walk with you! I love your "bundling up" descriptions! It reminds me of the "there is no bad weather, just bad clothing choices" quote... go you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fleece leggings are the best!!!! I've had mine on all week, and I have two more pairs on order - just waiting for them to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Winter walking has its own form of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen those orange things before and never knew what they were. I thought they looked like alien fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever heard a heron vocalize? They're pretty screechy! We have a lot out here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mabe1 is doing so we11!!!!! I put up a photo of A1's new cat Target that a1so wants to 1ive in someones house. Also, I didn't react fast enough , but our wi1d1ife sanctuary asked for a vo1unteer to transport a B1ue Heron an hour south next week .Fireman fina11y said ok, but someone e1se beat us to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun to find a bright spot of color on your walk. Winter is not my favorite season, but it does create some beautiful scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mabel is entertaining that is for sure. I also love herons. They are so patient when they fish. I love to see them. I smiled at your description of being layered up. I do the same thing in the cold. I'm sure I give the neighbors plenty to laugh about - there she goes again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice walk again--good for you! I love to watch herons, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful blog. Happy new year ��

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do enjoy a brisk walk although the last one I could have done with some leggings or track pants to keep my legs a bit warmer. What a beautiful walk place you have!

    ReplyDelete