Monday, January 10, 2022

Weekending

Good Morning Friends,

How are you?  How was your weekend?  Ours was pretty chilly.  And filled with family.  Last night we went over to Bonnie & Zhongren's for "the last supper" with Colin & Mailing...last supper before they move that is.  I could tell that Colin was pretty stressed.  The movers had come on Friday and boxed things up and then came back on Saturday and loaded their truck.  Col said it would have been easier if they were moving the entire house...but they are not.  So, they had to be sure things that were boxed up were supposed to be boxed up and things that were left were supposed to be left.  The movers will be back on Tuesday to pick up Colin's car.

Dinner last night was nice.  So glad that we could all be together again.  I made a lemon meringue pie for dessert.


We made dumplings and had a lot of delicious side dishes to go with them.


Thanks so much to all of you for your kind words.  I know that so many of you have children scattered around the country...and around the globe.  Texas is not really all that far (compared to the year Colin spent in South Korea teaching English!!).  And we do have plans to visit them.  And, they will be back this way for four different weddings this year - April, May, June and October.  I just hope that all goes well with taking the cats on their flight Wednesday.  It will be an experience, I'm sure.

Other than that, not much happened over the weekend.  I found a little time to knit, stitch and read.  Mabel continues to entertain us and is loving going outside.  So far she is sticking around and we noticed that she tends to watch the birds rather than chase them.  I'm sure at some point that will change.  Saturday we had a beautiful hawk show up two doors down from us.


He/she kept calling and then suddenly flew off and a second one flew in.  Beautiful birds!

And now here we are at Monday and another work week (for me anyway).  Wishing you all a wonderful start to the week.  I'm hoping to get out to walk again this week.

15 comments:

  1. I'm sure it's hard to say goodbye to the kids, but I'm sure it also helps to know that it's not a permanent move and you can talk to them often. And they'll only be one(?) time zone away (I'm sure when Colin was in South Korea, figuring out the time difference was difficult). Mabel will keep you good company while they're gone, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was chilly this weekend and this week looks to be even colder! Moving is inherently stressful, especially when you can't just move everything. At least somebody else was doing the packing and loading! It will be difficult not having dinner with Colin every week, but I think I talked to my kids more when they lived in TX and CO than now. I hope things go smoothly for C&M, and I hope you and Fletch adjust. With them coming back for weddings and you visiting, it might even be fun. It's definitely warmer in TX!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need you to send your awesome positive attitude my way!! Any move is stressful and crazy. I hope the cats do well and everything that was supposed to go will be moved!! I wish them the best of luck! You can still get together with her parents while they are gone bc you seem to enjoy their company!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how Colin feels. Although we didn't move as far, we lived in a state of half packed for the few months between taking possession and actually officially moving. I hope the cats do well on the flight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving is so stressful! I hope all goes smoothly with the cats. When Erin moved from Pittsburgh to California, I helped her fly out with her cat while Keith drove their car across country. (Erin and I certainly had the better deal!) Although Erin was quite a wreck about flying with the cat, it went very smoothly - for all involved. I'll be sending good juju your way! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moving is just so darned stressful! And with pets it is just so much more stressful.

    Sending all the good wishes for safe travels for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, lemon pie! It's my absolute favourite.

    Moving is such a chore, especially far away and with treasured pets. I hope it all goes well for everyone. I know you'll keep us updated.

    Perhaps Mabel will simply be a Bird Appreciator forever. Perhaps she will only go after marauding squirrels. That would be nice. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As one who has been living out of boxes and in a state of chaos for over three years now I can fully commiserate with Colin being stressed. Some days its no big deal and other days I want to tear my hair out. We go from one mess to another with no end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ach moving. So stressful.Here's hoping the unpacking will go well too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A bittersweet weekend gathering for your family and extended family. Knowing that you’ll see Colin and Mailing when they travel to the four weddings will hopefully make their departure easier. The lemon meringue pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always hard when someone moves, even if you know you'll see them soon.

    Watch out with Mabel and the hawk - a couple of kitties and small dogs in our area were carried off and eaten, which is incredibly sad. I know it's the circle of life, etc., but when it's a family member, that's hard to take.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Colin, moving is so stressful. Believe me, I understand. I'm glad to hear that they'll be able to come back and visit often but I'm sure the weekend was a mix of happy and sad. The meal sounds just lovely though. Hopefully you'll be able to get together with Mailings family even if the kids aren't there. It sounds as if you really enjoy their company.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Safe travels being wished for Mailing, Colin, and if course Talbot and Marcel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moving is stressful no matter how you accomplish it. Your pie is beautiful. Your meal together sounds wonderful. Take good care this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great gathering....you will store up the love of the evening.
    The visits will be such a happy reunion!

    ReplyDelete