Monday, September 4, 2023

Weekending 9/4/23

 Happy Labor Day!

Theoretically it is still the weekend because today is a holiday!  I hope everyone is enjoying themselves.  I bet lots of you are doing cookouts today - picnics with friends and family.  We don't really have any plans.  It is supposed to be pretty warm (ok, stinking hot) here.

My weekend really started on Friday with my conference calls being cancelled.  Work was still kind of busy (there are some folks who just can't chill, you know?).  But I managed to do some baking and some cooking!  I did make a rhubarb/peach crostata in the morning.  And wow was it good!


We each had a taste mid-afternoon and Fletch has slowly been finishing it up.  There is still a lot of the fruit that I had cut up - way too much for another crostata, so I think I will make a rhubarb/peach crisp.

Then I decided to cook for lunch.  Fletch has not been interested in any tofu dish that I mention for dinner, so I decided to make some for lunch.  It was quick and easy:  Honey Sriracha Tofu:


I had it with some leftover jasmine rice and then sprinkled edamame and scallions on top.  Yum!  I had some more of it for lunch yesterday and it was even good leftover.

With the forecast to be pretty hot today, we are just planning a simple dinner tonight - a salad made out of white (Cannellini) beans cooked with a wicked amount of garlic and parsley with marinated artichoke hearts blended in.  It will cool before we eat it and we have some crusty Italian bread to have with it.  And, maybe some of the cherry tomatoes from the garden.  Easy, tasty, and not hot.

Our weather remained nice both Friday and Saturday (chilly mornings and cooler evenings).  Saturday morning Dee and I got together as usual for some quality time knitting and chatting.  After that I stopped by C&M's house to water house plants.  I also started to empty out their frig - eggs had been left (gross) as well as lots of condiments that had not been touched since last Fall.  I filled one trash bag with stuff and brought that home to go out in our trash.  I think one more bag will do it.

We decided to have our first fire of the season on Saturday night.  I queued up Kym's Summer Vibes Playlist and Fletch lit the fire.  


A very relaxing and fun evening!!

The other day I did receive a voice mail that the washing machine part should be in the hands of the repair folks by this Wednesday and they will be out on Thursday to repair (hopefully really this time) my machine.  But, as we all know, when it rains, it pours.  We have decided that it is (way past) time for our upstairs bathroom to be renovated.  I decided to take a shower downstairs and discovered that I couldn't - the diverter was broken.  So, we had a plumber out for that...of course a part needs to be ordered...should be about a week.  And then yesterday Fletch discovered a very slow leak under our kitchen sink.  It's always something (or everything) OR, if it's not one thing it's another.  Oy vey!

Oh well, nothing I can do about it, so I will do my best not to fret.  Today I plan to just relax, stitch, knit and read.  No chores allowed!!  The upcoming week is going to be busy, so I'd best just chill today.

13 comments:

  1. Haven't the peaches been wonderful this year? I'm obsessed.

    We'll be at 90 for the week here in NEO, too. UGH. With, of course, the attendant beastly humidity, which is already here.

    Fingers crossed for your washer and other Things That Need Doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should start a pool and we could all place our bets on whether your washer will actually get fixed on Thursday. Maybe the third time is the charm (but I can't remember if this will be the 2nd or 3rd attempt.) I do hope that the washer, shower, and sink all get fixed and things stop breaking. Enjoy your Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nice weekend, Vera. I think your tofu lunch looks great and I hope all of those repairs are easily achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. may the washer be fixed :) It's kind of like a soap opera for us here readers, stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! Hope the plumber can get out for the leak tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a giant pot of minnestrone to get us through the next few stinking hot days. No cooking for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've had a full weekend - glad you're going to rest up from those Labors today :-) I'm enjoying some quiet with Lucy while Marc is out playing golf. It feels like Saturday in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dishes from your kitchen! Sorry about the repairs but hoping that will be the end of that until next Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always something, isn't it? Grrrr! Here is to an awesome week... I am so happy it is September!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When it rains, it leaks! And of course the ghost visited the fridge. Because who leaves eggs in the fridge when they're going to be away for months? The ghosts, that's who!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That crostada looks delish! I thought of you when there was one for dessert at my parents' on Friday night, but it was store-bought and fell apart. I didn't have any (the other option was chocolate cake), but I'm guessing yours was much tastier! I am sorry to hear the plumbing woes are continuing. Here's hoping they all get fixed very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't had a good peach (local or not) or watermelon this year. Not wasting any more money on them, but really miss my melons. Such a great treat for my dry mouth and I ate at least one a week before. Not this year. And no figs!! My neighbor has a puny 5' tree in a little pot with only a few branches that has at least a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! I hate it when all the home maintenance Stuff happens at the same time! (A few years ago, I noticed a small water spot on our kitchen ceiling -- and before you know it, we were in the middle of an entire master bath/master bedroom renovation we'd never planned.) (If you give a mouse a cookie . . . ) Here's to a good week, Vera -- with all the home maintenance loose ends tied up and finished before your vacation! XO

    ReplyDelete