Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 9/27/23

 Good Morning My Friends!

Yes, it is another grey day here and rather damp.  I fear it will be too wet for a nice fire in the pit this evening.  But, it will be so good to see Colin & Mailing anyway.  I texted "safe travels" to Col this morning and he replied they have already boarded - a very early flight from Austin!

Meanwhile, here in damp PA, it is time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.

As I mentioned yesterday, there was no stitching while I was on vacation.  I did do a little knitting, but more knitting backwards and then unraveling than anything else!  First up, though, there is a finish.  Finally the first Berocco Sock was finished the other night.  And, sock #2 was started (lest we end up with 2nd sock syndrome...a no-no for sure).


These feel rather rustic to me.  I think they will wear well - particularly in a pair of hiking boots.  Once sock #2 is finished, these will go into the gift box.

The 2nd project is the purple cowl.  Oy vey!  That had been in time out and I brought it on vacation hoping it had learned obedience.  Apparently not.  LOL  I ran into the exact same problem at the exact same spot (row #6 in the pattern).  I finally ripped it all out and cast on again.  The pattern (Abstract Leaves Cowl - free on Ravelry) is a lace pattern of 12 rows repeated twice on #4 needles and then twice again on #3 needles.  When I cast on again I was able to get through the first two repeats, changed to my #3 needle and started in on the first 12 rows and yup - once again row 6 is where I screwed up.  I know why.  I was trying to knit when I was too tired.  That is not a good idea for me...my mind wanders and I lose sight of where I am in a pattern.  I tried to knit backwards, but that wasn't working.  Once again I ripped out the entire mess.

The other night (when I wasn't too tired) I decided to cast on again using the second skein of purple COBASI - cotton/bamboo/silk that I have.  Maybe that first skein was cursed?  I don't know, but I am more than 1/4 of the way through and it seems to be working.


Fingers crossed that progress will continue!  And with the extra yarn (1st skein) I should be able to make a pair of fingerless mitts to go with this cowl.

Not much reading happened on vacation either.  "The Women on the Wall" traveled with me.  It is a collection of short stories by Wallace Stegner (a favorite author of mine).  I re-discovered it in one of my bookcases before we took off on our trip.  I read several stories, but since coming home one of the books I was in queue for at the library came in:  The Bee Sting by Paul Murray.  So far so good.  I've only read about 50 pages...I really need to start reading some before late evening.  This is a long book and I can't renew it...reading it before bed isn't going to work.  Anyway, I'm enjoying the book so far.

Work has been rather busy and will continue to be so, but so far I am keeping up with no problem.  Of course, that means not much time for anything else, but I'm closing in on the end (I keep reminding myself of that), so all is good.

Be sure to head over to Kat's for some inspiration and have a wonderful Hump Day!

17 comments:

  1. Well . . . the cowl is lovely, even if it is also troublesome. :-) And I really like the colors of the stripes of your socks. So nice! (I have that same problem with reading before bed. I like settling in to read a bit before sleep, but . . . sometimes I barely get more than a paragraph read before I "run out of awake-time.") XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your socks are full of lovely colors and they look like they would be fun to knit. I blame that cursed skein for your cowl issues; it certainly couldn't be your fault! But I'm glad you seem to be back on track because both the cowl and yarn are very pretty. I'm in the same position with Bee Sting - a long book from the library that I can't renew. I have only read about 25 pages so I better get going. Have fun with C&M!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's no fun when knitting goes naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep my fingers crossed that this attempt at the cowl is the successful one! I'm also reading The Bee Sting and hoping to finish it this week (I have about 160 pages left). It's good but long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you didn't give up on the cowl; it's really pretty, both in colour and in pattern. The finished product will be a triumph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very grey here too but it supposed to lighten up, an then be hot and sunny all the way through the weekend.

    The Berrocco sock is lovely! As is the new yarn on the cowl - I bet it feels amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you like knitting with the Berroco sock? I see it is on sale at the one of my online shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a good visit with the kids. You might luck out for a bit of dry weather tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, that sock is gorgeous! I love it. Enjoy your visit with Colin and Mailing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get very little knitting done on vacation, I guess I'm too busy. Love that cowl pattern and the yarn, beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so frustrating when our knitting doesn't behave! I do love the cowl, though, and the socks are pretty. I hope you enjoy your time together, fire pit or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have a wonderful time tonight! That cowl is being very naughty! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oy on that cowl. I'm glad you are back on track because it is very pretty. I like the idea of a pair of rustic socks to wear in hiking boots. Enjoy your visit with Colin and Mailing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cowl is looking really nice now. Maybe the first skein was jinxed! :-) Nice socks too. Isn't it nice to have things in the gift basket?
    I know you had a great time tonight with Colin and Mailing and I hope the rain held off so you got to have a fire.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors in those socks, Vera! And good for you for sticking with that cowl, I might have bailed on it!

    I hope you enjoy The Bee Sting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure you're having so much fun with C&M in town ... and I laughed out loud about starting a different ball of CoBaSi ... I for sure think some balls are cursed, and I hope this new ball is still knitting up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your problems with the Autumn Leaves cowl worry me. I had planned to knit one for DIL and as practice for one for myself from 100% yak yarn. I may call for help at row 6!

    ReplyDelete