Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Tiny Needle Tuesday 4/30/24

 


Good Morning!

How is it the last day of April 2024?  This year seems to be zooming past me at a very fast rate.  Yesterday afternoon I ventured out and cut two sprigs from the lilac.  So pretty and so fragrant.  And so droopy this morning!  What is the secret to having lilacs last in a vase?

Yesterday I managed to do a couple of my errands.  One had to be put off till today.  I had planned to go to the framer with the cactus triptych, but the framer is closed on Mondays.  So, perhaps this afternoon I can wander over that way.  

I did make it to the SPCA where we rescued Mabel though.  It's a little bit of a drive (30 minutes or so), but a pretty drive.  We had some towels we were no longer using.  Too worn for us and really not suitable for donating, but I know that the SPCA can always use them.  There were miniature ponies in the pasture (wish I had stopped to take a picture).

On this last TNT in April, I have a new piece to show.  While going through my (massive) stash to find something new to stitch, I (re)discovered a bunch of patterns I had gotten for free from Needleprint.  What a fabulous site that was back in the day!  Needlepoint closed/stopped publishing back around 2011.  Anyway, I came across several patterns based on Vierlande medallions.  Vierlande is an area in Germany.  The medallions are very similar to the Quaker motifs (particularly those from the Ackworth School).


I'm stitching on 40 count fabric using one strand of DMC over two threads of linen.  If you click to enlarge, you may see the beginning of a fourth motif on the left (the DMC thread is very, very light).  This piece is called Vierlande Elisabeth.  There is another piece I have picked out to stitch (Vierlande Bertie) which has a bunch of crowns and uses only two colors.  I'm enjoying the symmetry of the medallions.

Of course, now that my newly acquired stash has arrived, I'm eager to start yet another piece.  All in good time....

14 comments:

  1. I am hoping to join you in some tiny needle Tuesdays in May with a kit I brought home from Scotland! You and Dee have inspired me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your current stitchery piece is lovely and interesting! I have never heard of Vierlande but I'll look forward to seeing this piece on Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those medallions are beautiful. Could you bring the crown pattern tomorrow? I'd like to see that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely start! You are very thoughtful to donate those towels to the SPCA, and I'm sure the animals will appreciate them. Our lilacs just started blooming. I've thought about cutting some to have inside, but on the one hand that might just aggravate my allergies and, on the other, they do tend to get droopy so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lilacs here have been particularly lovely this year. They are so full of blooms.
    Your new project is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your stitching project Vera… so pretty! I miss lilacs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I have recently discovered your blog and enjoy it immensely - thank you. Lovely to read first thing here in Sydney Australia Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen those and they are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely lilacs; lovely stitching! Enjoy the day, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful stitching and I also donate to the SPCA or any vet hospital when towels worn out. They appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I knew what the secret to keeping lilacs sprightly in a vase. They sure don't last long. Beautiful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't purchase quaker designs, I can only imagine the errors I would make. But what you showed I love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 40 count linen!!! the design is so striking and is truly stunning to see on the fabric ... your stitching is always delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, Vera! But your lilacs... gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete