Monday, April 29, 2024

Weekending 4/29/24

 Good Morning My Lovelies,

It's gonna be a hot one in Eastern PA today.  Yesterday was warm.  And lovely.  Today it is supposed to get above 80!  Yikes!  Blooms have started popping everywhere.


How I wish I could send the scent of the lilacs over to you.  I snapped the above picture before 6:30 this morning.  As soon as I opened the front door, the scent of lilacs was everywhere.  Later I will cut a bloom or two for the table.


Yesterday the first iris opened.  Today there are three and so many buds!  More than we have had in years.  We could always count on the iris opening the first week in May, so they are pretty much on schedule. 

Not pictured, but also opening:  Lily of the Valley and Wisteria.  Both heavily scented.  Surrounded by perfume.

Friday ended up being a very nice stash enhancement day.  I had placed an order with 123 Stitch for some linen fabric and a few skeins of overdyed cotton.  They were scheduled to arrive today, but instead arrived on Friday!


The linen is 36 count and is very nice.  Also arriving on Friday was my May Sock Squad yarn from The Farmer's Daughter!


Like February's package, this one included two half skeins (50 grams each) plus the mini.  The colors are marvelous.

Fletch has been busy in the garden - planting onions, beans and cucumbers.  I helped him set up the trellis for the cukes.  With the warm weather forecast, he can probably get the tomatoes in.  We are also going to grow yellow squash vertically this year, so I need to help with another trellis.  Meanwhile, it's time to get a rosemary plant, some basil and an eggplant for my patio pots.

I cooked a new-to-me dish yesterday.  I've never been a huge fan of gnocchi, but a recipe for Skillet Gnocchi with Roasted Red Peppers, White Beans and Kale appealed to me.  I used This Recipe and it was fast and delicious!  Plus lots of leftovers.

The weekend also provided opportunity for both stitching and knitting...so a balanced, fun and productive weekend.  I've got a bunch of errands to run today and a bit of cooking I want to do.

I hope your weekend was a good one and cheers to the week ahead!

11 comments:

  1. We've gone from frosts and freezes to summertime weather, too. Quite the shock.

    I'm so jealous of your lilacs. We've lost two bushes, and I miss them terribly. I love their scent wafting in open windows in springtime. Luckily, I can smell them all over the neighbourhood as I take my walks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the days there are sounding balanced, fun, and productive!
    Ah, lilacs. A favorite scent. Ours are *just* thinking about their debut. (I'm always surprised at how far we lag behind!) Friends in Ardmore yesterday reported 81 degrees--I couldn't believe it.

    Love the new yarn colors... And linen! The best.
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My weather says it's supposed to get to 87 today! That is too hot, too early for me, but sadly, I don't have any say in it. Your lilacs and iris are beautiful, as are all your goodies in the mail. John has planted shallots, onions, peas, and cucumbers, and I might suggest he try growing zucchini vertically, too. He already grows cucumbers on a trellis, so maybe zucchini would work and give him some more room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stitching colors are pretty! The new yarn is gorgeous! I wish you could send me the lilac smell, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh...wisteria! My favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely weekend. I envy you your lilacs and wisteria (well, actually, all the flowering things).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot here, too -- we're supposed to get up to 84 today! Hard to believe that a week ago I had to wear a jacket and gloves to go out for my run and today I felt like I was melting in my t-shirt. I'm hoping we get more typical temperatures soon but that it stays warm enough that I can start planting. Can't wait to see what you stitch next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lilacs here are fading. I noticed the first iris open yesterday which is a smidge early. The embroidery threads and yarns are so pretty. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how quickly everything will open . . . when a couple of warm (hot!) days arrive. We had a lovely weekend with warm temps (but nothing like you're talking about!), and I can see so many things popping in the garden now! Enjoy those lilacs, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had never eaten gnocchi before the pandemic lockdown but I was so desperate to find online food sources that I started buying pasta from an Italian import shop. It was absolutely delicious. I keep saying I am going to buy more but never remember to order it.
    Your stash enhancements are lovely! I had to talk myself out of an 123 Stitch order while I was kitty sitting. That site is just too tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's warm! We haven't had anything close to that yet here and I am just fine with it that way! As much as I love lilacs, I'm glad you can't send me the scent because it gives me a headache.

    ReplyDelete