Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Unraveled Wednesday June 6, 2022

 Good Morning!

How are you this morning?  I feel stiff (dampness in the air perhaps?) and not fully awake yet.  Last night I had some grand plans for walking this morning, but I will wait and see how I feel and how the day feels once I am more awake.  Right now it is in the mid-70's, but it feels still and close.  Our forecast rain yesterday kind of passed by us to the South.  We had a few sprinkles and that was it.  Fletch will need to water the garden again today.

But here we are at Wednesday and it's time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.

A tiny amount has been knit on Fletcher's first Cafe Au Lait sock.  Not much, but I am past the heel turn and the gusset decreases are complete, so I am cruising down the foot.  The only problem is that my cruise speed is like 5 mph instead of 65 mph.


It almost gets lost against the tablecloth!  Click to enlarge, as always.

Last night, rather than working on this sock, I finished knitting the scrubby dishcloth.


And a close up for looking at the texture:


Let me tell you, this is hateful yarn with which to knit!  Everything about it (casting on, knitting, binding off, weaving in the ends) was a PITA.  And the cloth?  Man is it dense and heavy.  I have not tried using it yet, so am not sure how it will feel/work once wet.  The tropical colors are the only thing I enjoyed about this!

On the reading front, I am finally reading The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles.  I had been in queue for this book for months and then boom I suddenly received an email from my library that it was ready to be picked up.  I'm roughly 125 pages in (and it's long - 600 pages or so) and so far it is ok.  Just ok.  I loved Towles' previous two books (A Gentleman in Moscow and Rules of Civility), but this one doesn't seem to measure up to those two.

Waiting on my nightstand is Violeta by Isabel Allende which looks very good.  I'm anxious to read this one, but will finish The Lincoln Highway first.

Well, time to pour another cup of coffee and attempt to wake up.  Be sure to head over to Kat's to see what others are up to in the making and reading departments.

11 comments:

  1. I certainly hope that cloth turns out to be useful because I would hate for you to have had to spend a miserable time knitting it otherwise! It seems like the texture might be useful for scrubbing?

    Sorry the rain didn't make it to you yesterday. We're getting more today, so maybe this round will hold together to make it to your side of the state?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to say, Fletch's sock looks better than the multicolored muppet cloth! I'm not sure that dense and heavy is what you want in a dishcloth, so I don't think I'll be ordering any muppet yarn.

    I just got back from my walk, and at 80 degrees and 81% humidity, I'm soaked. We got about 16 sprinkles yesterday and it's dry here. I'll have to take a look at Violeta. Happy Wednesday, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often wondered about that yarn. I will continually to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knit one dishcloth of that plastic-y scrubby yarn and that was it. I rarely use it. I knit another one of regular cotton with 1/4 scrubby at the corner, and I use that one more often. It's just not absorbent and it drips like crazy.

    We spent yesterday trimming up bushes (Rick is on vacation for the week) at home, and today we're getting some big rain soon. The humidity is like walking in a bowl of soup. Ugh.

    Hang in there with the book. It gets a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about buying Lincoln Highway, but was on the fence. Thanks. You saved me a bit of $$$$$$.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A close friend recently read The Lincoln Highway. She said the same thing - just okay. Scrubby yarn is not a favorite of mine - too hard on the hands to knit. I hope the stiffness dissipates soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope by now you're feeling much more normal. I don't like the scrubby yarn to work with either. I just knit a 3 x 3 inch square and use it as a scrubby. It stays wet for a long time and drips a lot. I don't think I would like an entire dishcloth.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt the same way about that Scrubby yarn. I do like the more plastic feeling one though. I think it's the Sparkle version. It cleans dishes really well and washes up nicely. It was still a pain to knit with though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, I think I'll skip that Scrubby yarn but I imagine it would clean pots and pans. I had to smile at your cruising speed on the sock. Sometimes I just sail along with socks and other times not so much. I don't even think it is the yarn - just my mood. Sometimes I forget that one does have to knit on a sock to add length.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I never need to try that Scrubby yarn, Vera. I hope the cloth works well . . . given your struggles with the unpleasant knitting of it! As far as The Lincoln Highway . . . I agree. I didn't like it nearly as well as the other two Amor Towles books. It took me quite a while to get into, but after I did . . . I liked it more and more. (Tom, by contrast, LOVED it.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to thank you for taking one for the knitting team with that scrubby yarn.

    I thought The Lincoln Highway was okay as well... but certainly no Gentleman in Moscow or Civility... those were divine!

    :)

    ReplyDelete