Monday, February 15, 2021

Weekending

 Good Morning!

How was your weekend?  Ours was very nice and...as this post will show...it was ALL about the food!  LOL

Saturday around 4 p.m. we went over to Bonnie & Zhongren's (Mailing's parents) to celebrate the Lunar New Year and also Zhongren's birthday (which is today).  Of course there was dumpling making.


Here are just some of the dumplings ready to be cooked


Colin was appropriately attired in red.


And the table was loaded.  Along with the dumplings, Bonnie had made some delicious dishes:  some fish, short ribs, another beef dish, eggplant, cauliflower with mushrooms, pickled radishes and cabbage, pickled garlic, potatoes.  Everything was delicious!


Mailing had made a black sesame cake for dessert.


That is the symbol for Ox (this new year is the year of the ox).  We were sent home with leftovers which is wonderful!!

Valentine's Day dawned and I made us some blueberry & pecan pancakes for breakfast (forgot to take a picture).  It still felt pretty raw to me yesterday, so I decided to make a big pot of curried shrimp chowder for dinner.  This is such an easy (quick) and delicious meal.  I got everything chopped and ready.


And then in no time the soup was simmering on the stove.  


In between all the food consumption I did find some time to knit a little and stitch a little.  I'll save those pictures for another post.

Per Fletecher, our temps are supposed to moderate a bit this week.  There is still quite a bit of snow on the ground and icicles are hanging off the house and shrubs.  I just keep remembering that each Monday brings us that much closer to March 20th and SPRING!!

Wishing you all an enjoyable week ahead!

15 comments:

  1. What a great celebration, Vera! You're so fortunate to be able to gather with family and friends. (We'll celebrate Brian's birthday later this week . . . over Zoom. . .) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like food and family! I hope your week starts out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delicious! If either of my sons ever gets married, I hope I gain in-laws that cook and share as generously as Mailing's parents. (And that curried shrimp chowder also looks really good!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, you all ate very well this weekend! You and Fletcher are very lucky to have such wonderful in-laws, and I'm glad that in these times you're all able to gather safely and enjoy each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very hungry now, I remember you doing this last year (or was it the year before or both??). It looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you all had a happy New Year celebration. The dumplings look SO delicious.

    Your soup looks pretty too! We had a big pot of chili on Saturday night and finished up the leftovers LAST night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big food weekend, and all of it looks outstanding. I'd love the recipe for your chowder. Rick and I enjoy curry everything.

    We're getting 14 inches of snow by Tuesday evening, then more on Thursday. Spring feels very far away right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holidays = plentiful and delicious food and family gatherings. I love the dumpling making video. Sub-zero temperatures will hang around here most of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that was a lot of food! I love dumplings and envy you yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I sure miss my DIL's dumplings. Since we couldn't go over this year for the New Year I hope she put some in the freezer for us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you had a wonderful weekend of food, family and fun. Good for you! Everything looks delicious. We're in a winter storm warning last night and today. Snow is piling up. Our spigot is still frozen, but I had a quick shower this morning so all is well in the world! :-)
    Take care and have a warm and safe afternoon.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. How delicious! Everything looks wonderful. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure are treated like royalty at the in-laws home. Do count your blessings. I have a totally different story with how we were treated by the two moms. My SIL barely speaks to us but his parents are nice to us. Go figure. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a feast! Wow! My mouth is watering!! I think you have the best weekends! (I hope your work day was not stressful yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a spread!! Wow! I love your food posts. ;)

    ReplyDelete