Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Unraveled Wednesday 2/3/21

 Good Morning All!

Our snow event has finished - Thank God!  Yesterday afternoon turned very sunny and much of our snow has compacted down.  My guess is that we ended up with around 15" or so...now it is around 12".  Fletch heard on the news that a town between Allentown and the Poconos received three feet!  Better them than me I say.  I'm still content to just stay home - heck I've been doing pretty much that for almost a year anyway.

Work managed to get in my way a little bit yesterday, but I still managed to get some knitting accomplished.  First up my Heart Warmer Cowl which doesn't really look any different, but the Interrupted Rib section is now complete and I'm ready for the Bobbles!  Last night I was just too tired to attempt them.


My Yule Wave sock saw a bit of action as well:


I finished the Eye of the Partridge heel flap, turned the heel (in red) and am (maybe) half way down the foot.  I had a momentary "Oh No" moment last night with this.  Partway through the gusset decreases, I decided to (finally) try on the sock to make sure the colorwork wasn't too tight.  Thankfully it fits just fine.  But, in the process of trying it on, I managed to knock about 4-5 stitches off several of the DPNs.  Two of those stitches unraveled quite a ways down.  There were no curse words uttered and no tears...instead I calmly found my little crochet hook and (thankfully) managed to pick up all the stitches and then continued knitting.  A few rows later I dropped two more stitches!  Honestly, I think I was just plain tired.  My eyes kept closing as I was knitting and, believe me, that is not something I should do - LOL.

On the reading front, I finished Some Writer! and really enjoyed it.  This is a biography of E. B. White written for children, but really it is for anyone and everyone!  There are pictures of White growing up and it is a very fast read.  Fletch and I finished the book we were reading together after dinner:  Cry of the Kalahari and while we both enjoyed it initially, we both found it tedioius towards the end.  The couple who spent years during the early 1980's studying hyenas, lions, etc. in the Kalahari took so many foolish risks - it's amazing they lived to tell their story.  I also read the second book in the series by Linda Castillo - mysteries that take place in an Amish community in Ohio.  Again, it was a bit graphic and gruesome, but not as much as the first (which makes me ask am I becoming immune to this?).  I'm now reading the second book in a series by Deborah Crombie, but honestly I'm a bit mored with it.  I will finish it as I only have about 50 pages left.  I have a bunch of books on my nightstand and a bunch I'm waiting to come in for me at the library.  So glad my reading slump is over!

As usual, I'm linking up with Kat for Unraveled Wednesday.  Be sure to jump over to her blog to see what she and others are making and reading.  You'll find inspiration for sure!


15 comments:

  1. we got about 15 inches and it looks glorious! The knitting looks so lovely and I do love gray and red together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy and relieved to hear that the socks fit -- and that you avoided a big disaster with the dropped stitches!

    It's interested how much my perspective on winter storms have changed thanks to the pandemic. I used to dread them because I knew I'd have to be out in them, and now I can just enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked out and it's snowing here again! It's really fine and probably just a snow shower, but I'm still shaking my fist at the weather! I didn't know how Heartwarmer would look in a non-solid color yarn, but yours is really lovely. And I'm so glad the socks fit, and that you were able to rescue the dropped stitches. Well done, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Heart Warmer Cowl is lovely and it's in my 'favs.'
    I love a good snow storm, one that brings the town to a stand still, (they are my favorite.) My brother lives in Heller Town, PA and he sent pictures last night, 30" fell at his place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dropped stitches are still heart-stoppers for me. I know good techniques, but I still get that clench when I see them.

    Yay! for your sock fitting. It looks terrific, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just hate it when you get in a stitch-dropping "thing?" I'm glad you were able to pick them up without any trouble -- and that they didn't drop into the color work section (because that's a real PITA!). Lovely knitting, Vera. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I can see real progress on the cowl-very pretty! The dropped stitches could be a disaster-I'm glad you were able to remedy that! I knit in the evening, too, and sometimes I just rip out what I did the night before! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your projects are lovely! I heard about that big snow yesterday too as I had The Weather Channel on all day. I can't even imagine what that was like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew! Happy to hear the sock fits and that the dropped stitches are back on the needles. The cowl is pretty and so is the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm wandering around outside in flip-flops and a light sweater! I know that's going to end as we're told it will get cold again by the weekend. It's 40+ today and as far as I'm concerned, that's flip-flop weather! :-)
    Actually, I wanted to wash the comforter from our bed and my little RV washer isn't quite big enough, although it's surprising just how much I can get in it! Anyway, I ventured to the park laundromat for the very first time. I was pleasantly surprised. Very clean and I was the only person there so I didn't even have to put my mask on. So here I am, traipsing back and forth across the park with a comforter and detergent. Then back again to switch to the dryer. Another half hour and I'll walk back again. Lots of exercise and it's beautiful outside so not a hardship at all. Everyone else drives though, so I probably look silly.
    Stay warm and drive safe.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cowl is really looking beautiful! I'm glad the new sock fit but the thought of the stitches falling off would send me over the edge, good for you to calmly fix it. I'm glad you're enjoying reading again.. I'm still not back to it.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both knits are lovely. I sure like the variegated yarn in the cowl. It looks a little like Spring to me. Enjoy your snow and take it easy with the shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe I shouldn't knit tonight. It looks like a plague of dropped stitches is going around the blogging community.

    Not sure how much snow we got, but it sure looks like a lot piled up in the driveway. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,
    The cowl and sock are both looking pretty! It was hard to measure the snow, we had too much freezing rain, maybe 6-10 inches. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dropped stitches... no fun at all! I am glad you were able to get them back in order! I have requested Some Writer! from my library! I hope to have it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete