Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Unraveled Wednesday 2-10-21

 Good Morning!

6:47 a..m and it is just beginning to get light here.  Looking out my office window, I can see across the street.  I don't think that was possible a week ago.  Slowly and steadily our daylight increases each day.  It's a miracle and can be magical - almost like turning a heel!  LOL

All the plumbing stuff went well yesterday.  Even though the guys were half an our late showing up (I hate that).  Lots of $$$, but I'm happy to have everything done!

As I said I would, I pretty much sequestered myself in the office room yesterday with the door shut.  I did have work to do, and inbetween emails and phone calls I managed to do a tiny bit of knitting.


A jumble of projects (which is always fun).  Upper left is the Yule Wave sock (#2).  I think about 5 or 10 rows were added since my last picture.  The Heart Warmer cowl is on the right.  I did the first 3 rows on the Bobble section (which are just plain knitting).  I love making bobbles, but it had been some time since I had done so.  Therefore I decided I needed to practice.  The little square on top of the varigated section is my practice piece.  Just 10 stitches across and I made bobbles on two different rows successfully, so I'm ready to plow ahead.  

The bottom piece on the circular needle is the beginning of my Guernsey Wrap (Jared Flood design)!!  So excited to have started this.  I got roughly this far yesterday afternoon and then had to rip it all out (I think the noise the plumbers were making was distracting me).  But, I managed to cast back on and I've done 12 rows.  (There are only 465 rows in the pattern....).  This is my first time using Wool of the Andes yarn by KnitPicks and I have to say it is lovely.  Very soft and easy to knit.  Even though it is worsted weight and I'm using a size 8 needle, it is not bothering my hands.  And the Mink Heather color is just wonderful.

On the reading front, I started Monsieur Mediocre and am disappointed in it.  I thought this would be really funny, but so far (4-5 chapters) I'm finding it boring and more of a "Aren't I wonderful" story.  I haven't returned it (yet), but I've set it aside and instead picked up Monogamy by Sue Miller.  75 pages into it and for me it is just ok.  It seems to be moving slowly and is a bit more wordy than I think necessary.  I'll keep at it though.  And, I will be stopping by the library for curbside delivery today as I received an email that this book is waiting for me to come fetch it.

So plans today are to get more knitting and reading in (the hell with work - lol).  Tomorrow I have to go in to the office.  We have 3 candidates coming in for VP interviews and I need to bring in a continental type breakfast (I'll just pick up some fruit, bagels and muffins) for the panel (5 folks who will be doing the interviewing) and I will need to order lunch for them too.  The panel will be there all day, but I'm hoping I can leave after lunch arrives.

That wraps it up for me.  As usual, I'm linking up with Kat for Unraveled Wednesday.  Head over to her blog to see what she and others are up to.  Always inspiring!!

19 comments:

  1. It's always good to have lots of great knitting cast on so there is a project available for whatever your mood! I look forward to seeing your Guernsey Wrap grow. Between Monogamy and Perestroika I hope you can find something that you're in the mood to read also. We're supposed to have weather in MD tomorrow, so I hope your day in the office is short and without weather hindrances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, when plumbers are in the house, I stay locked away somewhere and even have Mr.P write the check....I don't want to know the cost! Your knits are lovely and The Heart Warmer Cowl is on everyones needles, I best go look at the pattern.
    I too am finding it difficult to find a book I can get lost in, it's frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a new sink!! Wooo! And your knitting this week... varied, fun, and lots to knit in all sorts of circumstances!

    I am a bit down the wait list for Perestroika. But it gives me something to look forward to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear all the plumbing work went well and is done -- it's always a bit nerve-wracking to have any sort of work involving water going on!

    For what it's worth, I found Monogamy to be slow to start as well, but it builds as you get further in. For about the first third, I thought I was going to hate it, and I ended up really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're finding some time for your "jumble" between all the other stuff going on in your life, Vera. (Pesky work. So often in the way. . .) I hope your reading catches your fancy. I really liked Monogamy, but it's definitely a slow burn kind of book. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. The jumble of knitting looks just wonderful! I'm glad you are pleased with all of your knitting at present. Hooray for success from the plumbers-and that they are done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I typically don't care for Sue Miller's books. I haven't read her in a long time now. I find myself distanced from her characters, somehow.

    How nice to be busy in another room and to know that all that work was getting done! And now you have the benefits, some knitting progress and new stuff in the home. Sounds like a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got time to pick up the needles. The projects are all looking good.

    So, now that you have the big sink, did something get cooked in the giant pan just so you can wash it???? LOL Enquiring minds and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s been years since I’ve knit bobbles - I’d need a LOT of practice before tackling a project that included them. Hurray for smooth plumbing fixtures installation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been reading more during the days and who does bobbles? I switch them out for a simple eyelet...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much news! And projects! And pictures!
    I liked (didn't love) Monogamy and will start Perestroika in Paris soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know that I've ever knit bobblies, crocheted yes, knitted-no. All fo your projects are coming along and what's 465 rows? A piece of cake! Ha! I hope you still like Wool of the Andes after using it for such a big project. I really like it too and have used it for two of Dennis's sweaters.
    I'm glad you got all of your plumbing projects done. I know we'll have lots of those projects too. I signed the docs for the homeowners insurance for the new house this morning so we're set if and when we close. It's hard to do this stuff long distance and I was shocked that the price of ins. is four times what we paid here for a much larger house. I'm told it's because of tornadoes and hail. We really don't have any natural disasters here except wildfires!
    Have a great day Vera and I hope you don't have to stay too long at the office tomorrow.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy to hear the plumbing was a success. I guess it pays to have someone who knows what they are doing get involved. I wish I could convince The Mister of it. He's old school DIY all the way. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never knit a bobble but this cowl is turning up on a few blogs and it sure is pretty. I think having a few projects on the go keeps knitting interesting. You have a nice variety.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you going to show us your new sink? I doubt the new toilets are blog-worthy.. lol. I clicked through on the shawl and it's gorgeous! I look forward to watching it evolve. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,
    I am glad all went well with your plumbing, there always seems to be something that needs fixing. Your projects all look pretty. I see we had more snow overnight. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think there was some FROGGING in the air this week. I'm happier now having frogged one big project. Plumbing will definitely distract. Your job sounds FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catching up! Oooh, I love Guernsey knitting and I can't wait to see your wrap progress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you get some knitting done with all your busy days. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete