Monday, January 15, 2018

Monday Stuff

Hello All,

Managed to get through my 10 a.m. conference call and now the balance of the day is mine (since it is a work holiday),

Naturally I didn't accomplish near what I thought I might over the weekend.  Not much knitting (though I am about half-way done the foot on Colin's sock), almost no reading (don't understand this one at all).  I did do laundry and we did grocery shop and the Christmas tree is out of the house and decorations are put away, and I did cook some.

Saturday I made Spicy Cuban Beef which we had over rice and steamed broccoli alongside.

Yesterday I cooked one of those pre-seasoned pork loins.  Ours was peppercorn and pretty tasty.  I made smothered cabbage to go with it - had never made this before and LOVE it.

Today a pot of split pea soup is on the stove.  There is left over cornbread that I made last week, so that will be dinner.

My car is in the shop today for inspection.  Got the phone call shortly after 8 a.m. this morning that it will be $1.6K to fix.  YIKES!  Something is up with the suspension, I need rear breaks and then a bunch of other things (I kind of tuned out the guy when he was talking).  The good news is that no tires are needed and they can do everything today, so I'll get the car back this afternoon.  I just had not planned on/counted on a bill this high. 

I hope to start "Sing, Unburied, Sing" this afternoon.  I'm giving up on "The Roanoke Girls" about 1/3 into it.  I'm just not enjoying it and there are far too many books out there that I do want to read.

That's the news from here.  It is cold again (very) and snow is in the forecast for tomorrow and maybe Wednesday.  This Winter.....it just keeps going.....

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day off . . . and sorry about the car-sticker-shop. (Ugh.)
    (Also - it sounds like you got a lot of things accomplished over the weekend to me.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the food sounds good. That is a big car bill. Enjoy you day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, that unexpected car repair bill would upset anyone's budget.

    Hot soup and cornbread is perfect on a winter day. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....that is some repair bill. That's why I took the tags off Mini. She was costing me a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your meals sound delicious, and I am sorry about that bill! I hate to take my car in because they always find something, and it's never a burned out turn signal bulb for $1.79. Here's hoping you get nothing but good news for the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, that's quite some bill! Yum, split pea soup sounds like just the thing on a chilly day. Hope you car works perfectly when you get it back and stays that way for a nice long time! Enjoy the rest of your day off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YIKES! That was an unpleasant inspection. That really cuts into the yarn budget!!!

    Hoping the snow won't be too bad --- I have a haircut appointment that I desperately NEED!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No fun on the car bill but it is cheaper than a new car!
    Soup plans sound good on a chilly day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, giving up on an unsatisfying read. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that is not a great way to start the New Year with a big car bill, but just think how much safer it will be. Glad you enjoyed your Monday off.

    ReplyDelete