Monday, October 14, 2024

Weekending 10/14/24

 Good Morning!

How are you?  I know it's a holiday for many folks.  Indigenous People Day...or as we always called it, Columbus Day.  This is the week that Fletch and I would often target to go to Vermont.  Typically you could count on it being peak time for the leaves changing.  I think that time frame may have changed.  Our leaves are finally changing and they are gorgeous!  I've seen some brilliant trees while out running errands (but too much traffic to stop and take a picture).

As it turns out I am going away this week...but not with Fletch and not to Vermont (sadly).  Instead a friend and I have rented an AirBnB for a couple of days in Rehobeth Beach, DE.  I am looking forward to getting away and am not taking my laptop.  I'll be away from blogging and reading blogs for a little bit.  I am packing knitting and stitching and reading.  I'm hoping for some beach walks, maybe finding a museum to wander through, etc.

Meanwhile, how was your weekend?  Mine was very nice.  Fletch and I headed out on Friday morning to drop our ballots off in Creamery (at the 4-H Center) and then we headed to Ott's to look for pumpkins and gourds.  I wish I had taken a picture at the nursery - there were TONS of all different kinds of pumpkins and gourds, but I was too busy filling a wagon with things we bought.


These are the two we bought for our front step.  I love the green "goose-like" one.

A good part of Saturday was spent cooking.  I discovered that one of our supermarkets now sells venison!  So, despite the warming temps, a big pot of venison chili was made.  (Bonny - I was thinking of you!!)  And, it turned out delicious!


There were no kidney beans around, but I had soaked overnight a package of cranberry beans from Rancho Gordo.  Plenty left over to freeze and to have some in the frig for leftovers.

This was Sunday morning!


So close!  Reminded me of our cat Maestro who was sure the deer were her friends.  Mabel doesn't seem too worried by them, though when this deer moved even closer, she got up and scooted under the picnic table.

Today I have some errands to run and I need to pack for my little get-away.  I will see you back here possibly at the end of the week, or next Monday.  Have a great week!

12 comments:

  1. may you have a wonderful getaway and laptop free! Such a wonderful thing to look forward to doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pic of Mabel and a deer! Have a wonderful getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was anticipating cooler weather this week, so I made venison chili, too! I love your goose-neck squash and hope you have a terrific time in Rehoboth Beach. That picture of Mabel and the deer is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture of the deer and Mabel is astounding! Have a great time on your getaway with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart is pounding just looking at that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost imagine Mabel saying, "My parents are eating one of your relatives, so back off!"

    Have a wonderful time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your getaway sounds like it will be relaxing - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful getaway, Vera! Several days offline sounds great -- and being with friends makes it even more perfect. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's one brave kitty to get so close! Our leaves haven't started yet but it's very cold and windy here right now. More than sweater weather all of a sudden. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your getaway. It sounds lovely. I keep reading about Rancho Gordo beans and I think there is a new cookbook that features them. That Mabel, she is brave.

    ReplyDelete