Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Unraveled Wednesday 10/9/24

 Hello Everyone,

Happy Hump Day and Happy Unraveled Wednesday.  I was up and out early this morning as Mabel had her annual physical at 8 a.m.  I'm happy to report that they found her not only beautiful but also very healthy.  She now weights 8.9 lbs...up from 8.7 lbs a year ago.  If only my weight gain could be as minimal!  LOL

Meanwhile, send your healing juju Marcel's way.  He had been throwing up a lot and having diarrhea and then not eating...turns out he has a cancerous tumor.  He is now on steroids and starting an anti-cancer drug (i.e., chemo therapy).  They will also be administering B-12 shots to help build up his energy.  He has already improved...is eating and a bit more active, but it's a long road ahead for him.  Luckily Talbot is doing fine.

And, I am pretty sure I pulled a deer tick off of my arm this morning.  There was a black "spot" on my arm and it would not come off with my finger...I got out tweezers and yanked it off...blood and all.  Yuck!  I'm waiting for a text from CVS telling me a prescription is ready to pick up.  I contracted Lyme disease a few years ago, so I will always test positive.  I don't want to take any chances with getting it again!

Meanwhile, as already mentioned, it is Unraveled Wednesday and time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Fortunately there has been no unraveling.  On the other hand, not a lot of knitting.  BUT, Tapped Maple Sock #1 is finished and the second one has been started.


I'm a little more than a third of the way down the leg.  It's just plain knitting, but I have not had much time to devote to this sock.  

Reading has been good!  I finished Leonard and Hungry Paul a few days ago.  What a delightful book.  I know it will not be for everyone.  It is not compelling or fast paced.  Not a whole lot happens, but it is nice.  Everyone in the book is nice.  It is a book that, if you read it, will just make you feel good.  

A bunch of books came in for me at the library and I started The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl.  For some reason I was expecting another Ruth Reichl memoir with recipes, but this is not that.  Rather it is a novel (just as the title indicates...duh).  And, it is good.  A fun read and there are lots of descriptions of food.  I started this yesterday and read about 60 pages, so a fast read.  Which is good, because Intermezzo is another book I picked up.  I'm not sure what to expect (I've never read anything by the author), but I'm looking forward to getting into this next "Read With Us" selection.

Fletch and I finished listening to In True Face which was just ok...kind of boring in a lot of places.  But now we are reading Clear after dinner and what a great read it is!!  Has anyone read anything else by Carys Davies?  I'm so impressed with her writing.

Lastly, I finally got to making sauce with our tomatoes yesterday afternoon.  We have not had it yet, but the house smelled wonderful and I did sneak a couple of tastes...yummy!  Garden tomatoes, peppers and garlic along with some mushrooms, onions and left over grilled sweet and hot sausage.


We will have some of this tomorrow night.  Tonight Colin is coming over to help Fletch with a couple of things and we will be grilling lamb chops.  I'm planning to make an apple galette as well.

Fletch has an appointment at 10 and I have some errands to run, so I'd best get moving.  I need another cup of coffee.  Hope your week is going well!

12 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about Marcel but will be thinking about him. And good for Mabel for such a good physical. I also loved Leonard and Hungry Paul and Clear, too. It's quite enjoyable to read books that just make you feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sock looks fabulous!
    So sorry to hear about Marcel! Sending lots of good juju his way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Marcel! I hope his treatment is effective and that Talbot is good company for him. Please tell Mabel I am very proud of her for her good report at the vet. And I hope that sauce tastes as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor Marcel! I hope that all goes well. (I wrote a poem).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that news about Marcel but I'm also glad that Mabel is doing well. Your tomato sauce sounds delicious and I wish I had some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sock is looking good! I'm all about the browns right now.
    I'm so sorry to hear about Marcel. We just got back from getting Pup's stitches out from her surgery and I'm exhausted from the whole two week ordeal. I just want to sit here and stare at the ceiling for a few days. The work and worry is overwhelming at times and with C & M having a baby on the way too. Thank goodness they have you close for support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending all the good juju Marcel's way! Here's to a successful treatment and a quick return to good health. I, too, loved the gentle rhythm of Leonard and Hungry Paul. I found it a soothing read! When it comes to Intermezzo . . . I'm just going to suggest you give it plenty of time (and "real estate") to let it settle in. It's a slow-build kind of novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks look very fallish. I hope Marcel gets along ok. I loved Clear but I haven't read anything else by that author but I might give that some thought. The Paris Novel is lots of fun, maybe not always quite believable but a little escape reading now and again is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Marcel. I do hope his treatment is successful and not too much of a trial for him or his cat parents.

    Your sauce looks and sounds wonderful. I've been in a Pasta Mood all week. I think it's the cold temperatures. I could see my breath this morning when I went out to feed my blue jays--it was 38 degrees!

    The sock looks great. Quite cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots going on! Glad Mabel is doing so well ... and sorry to read about Marcel and the tick (ugh). I've read both of Davies' other novels - The Mission House and West. Clear is my favorite of the three, but I do love the other two. She also has a short story collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely sock! Poor Marcel may the treatments ease the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to hear Mabel is doing well. The Tapped Maple sock is so pretty! Nice job on them. The tomato sauce looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete