Thursday, April 27, 2023

Surprise! I'm Here!!

 Good Morning!

I know I said I would be back on Monday, but this just proves how old and out of touch I am.  LOL

Our computers are no longer sent down to Charlotte to be refreshed/replaced.  Instead, my new laptop was delivered to me yesterday.  All I need to do is plug it in, log on with my user name and password and everything on my current laptop will transfer over.  All is cloud based now (which I had ignored) and is a little bit like Big Brother if you ask moi.

Anyway, I have not yet set the new one up.  I'm too busy this week to do that...can't run the risk of not being able to work.  And the other issue is that the laptop arrived but none of the peripherals...no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse and most importantly, no docking station.  So, I could set up the new one but can't use my monitor (my old docking station will not work with my new laptop).

It was very frustrating dealing with Tom from IT (sounds like Jake from State Farm - LOL).  (He's at my office but is terribly non-responsive to emails and phone calls.)  Today and tomorrow will be busy, but hopefully my peripherals will be sent out and I can get the new one set up late tomorrow or over the weekend.

I need to get to my Thursday reports, but wanted to show you two things.  First, I made a Raspberry Rhubarb Crostata using THIS RECIPE from Ina Garten.


Mine took much less time to cook, but oh boy is it delicious!  I whipped up some cream to go with it.  The only change I made was to use maple sugar to sprinkle on the pastry rather than turbinado sugar.  

And, the lilacs didn't last long when cut (and I googled and couldn't find any way to make them last longer than a day or two), but we have Iris blooming this year - more than in past years!


I cut some after our afternoon rain and their scent has filled the entire downstairs!  Very sweet and very nice.

OK, time for me to get down to work.  Have a wonderful Thursday!

15 comments:

  1. The iris are so pretty! My grandfather had a huge iris bed. All colors and varieties. I was fascinated by them when I was a kid. I love seeing them in bloom right now. There's a lot of them around town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those iris are just gorgeous, Vera! Mine have buds, but no blooms yet... it has been so darned cold!

    I hope the rest of your work things arrive soon! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of a day and a half of vacation, it sounds like you got more work! I hope you receive the peripherals and the cloud works as it's supposed to. (I'm laughing and shaking my head at an IT guy who won't to emails.) Enjoy your raspberry rhubarb crostata; that sounds even more delicious than the usual strawberry rhubarb combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to have a whole side bed full of irises--back then we called them flags. Have you ever heard of that term for irises? I rarely see them anymore.

    The crostata--yum! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and irises, too! How beautiful to see you've got blooms already! And it's too funny about the computer being ready so quickly-we do show our age when it comes to technology! You almost got out of the conference call! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know irises had a fragrance. They certainly are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The iris is my second favorite Spring flower. They don’t last long as cut flowers, but they are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it early for irises? Or is gardening so messed up weather wise that they'll bloom when they bloom? Have you noticed that different colored irises have different smells?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm amazed you have irises blooming already! I've seen some getting close in the neighborhood but I'm not sure any of them have bloomed yet.

    Good luck with getting all your IT stuff sorted. Given how much is done on computers and online these days, it seems like having IT support that is nonresponsive could be a big issue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, that rhubarb crostata looks fabulous! I hope all goes well with the computer switch and that Tom from IT gets his act together for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes - that's how our company works now too - same thing happened when they sent me my new one. Except I thought I would have to transfer over my desktop files - but I opened the computer signed in - and bam! They were all there!

    Love the irises!!! I planted quite a few new irises in the fall so I'm looking forward to them this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice to see you!! BTW Blogger is not notifying me after I told you it was, it seems to be having a very large hiccup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such lovely iris, Vera! I can't wait til mine bloom! (At this point, I can see the leaves just barely popping through. Everything is in a holding pattern out in the garden . . . for now.) Hope you're enjoying your new - and newly updated computer! When I replaced my MacBook last year, I just needed to put it near my old one, and presto-chango . . . transfer complete! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My iris are not spreading, tried separating some, leaving others, they just stay the same. And there is no fragrance! Good luck with tech.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, that dessert looks delicious. What pretty iris. The lilacs here have started to bloom but not buds on the iris yet. I hope the computer stuff arrives and you get it all sorted out without too much difficulty.

    ReplyDelete