Friday, April 7, 2023

Some Friday Things

 Hello and Good Morning,

A cloudy day here...currently 51 which is the forecast high.  Yesterday it was 83,  The rollercoaster is back.

A quick post as we are leaving on vacation tomorrow!  Woo-Hoo.  I'm meeting Dee this morning for some needed therapy time.  We will chat, sip coffee and, perhaps, knit a bit.  Then I have to pack!    I need to figure out what to take for knitting, reading and stitching and, oh yeah, clothes too.  Ha!  We are heading South (VA and NC) and it is not supposed to be terribly hot in either location, but you never know.  Best to be prepared for all types of weather.

I made a new dish the other night.  Sesame Asparagus & Carrot Chop.  I found it in a food magazine Dee had passed to me and it says it is from Deb Perelman (Smitten Kitchen).


It doesn't look pretty in my picture, but it was tasty.

  • 1/2 lb asparagus
  • 1/2 lb slim carrots (I used mixed color)
  • 2 TBS unseasoned rice vinegar
  • salt
  • 2 TBS mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 2 tsp sriracha
  • 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 large firm avocado, diced
  • Toasted sesame seeds (black and/or white) for garnish

Cut asparagus and carrots diagonally into thin slices.  Place in bowl and dress with rice vinegar and salt.  Combine the mayo, sesamae oil, sriracha and soy sauce and whisk till smooth.  Pour over, Fold in the diced avocado and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

I did not have an avocado so I didn't add that (plus, as much as Fletch loves guacamole, he does not like chunks of avocado in salads).  Next time I would cut back on the sesame oil (I love sesame oil, but that flavor was overwhelming in the dish).  I did really like having the asparagus raw.  

A good, summery salad for a hot day! 

Keep your fingers crossed that Mabel does not destroy the house while we are gone!  Our neighbors Rob & Eva are lined up to feed her and let her in and out, but they will make sure she is in at night (foxes) and sometimes she gets a bit stir crazy!  I need to remember to put away small things so that she doesn't knock them over or run off with them.

While we are away I will be sporadically reading blogs, but most likely not commenting (I'll be using my phone).  I'll be back with a post the week of the 17th!  

Happy Easter to those who celebrate.



18 comments:

  1. may you have a restful fun vacation and may mabel behave herself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh! I hope you have a fantastic vacation! I'm sure if you run out of yarn, you can find a yarn store somewhere (or even a Michaels or Joann's -- dishcloths are always a good option!). Safe travels -- can't wait to hear about it when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see you have your packing priorities LOL! Have a great time! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful time away, Vera! I can't wait to hear all about it when you return. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great vacation, store up those memories and photos to share with us when you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday was weirdly warm and humid, so I'm liking the current 50s better. I'm glad you and Dee are getting together today, and then you can do the all-important packing of the yarn. I hope you have a wonderful vacation and I'll look forward to hearing all about it when you're back. (Be good, Mabel!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like an interesting dish... I don't think I've ever eaten raw asparagus! Have a wonderful vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious chocolate bunny comic. I appreciate it.

    I'm glad you got a chance to decompress with Dee (you could do a podcast--Decompressing With Dee) before you take off on your trip. It also means she's feeling much better, too.

    Enjoy your vacation, and I'm sure Mabel will be well taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a safe and enjoyable vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes for a wonderful vacation! I hope the traffic is light and the temperatures are warm! I'll be sending calming vibes to Mabelcat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Safe travels. This should be a great time to go south. Enjoy your trip. The cartoon is great. I always ate the ears off my Easter chocolate bunny but not much else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy every moment. Funny cartoon.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of y'all ... safe travels and looking forward to reading all about your adventures once you're back home!

    ReplyDelete