Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 4/26/23

 Good Morning!

This is what I saw a few minutes ago:


Yikes!  I don't know where the snow factors in when it is 38 degrees, but whatever.  It is still a tad bit warmer than yesterday morning.  I'm pretty sure rain is in our forecast through the weekend.  Sigh.  I love a good rainy day now and then, but 4 or 5 in a row becomes a bit much.  

And...I won't be able to retreat into the depths of rabbit holes on the computer.  Today is the day I have to ship my laptop down to Charlotte to be "refreshed."  Actually, everything on my laptop will be copied over to a new laptop which should be delivered to me on Friday.  There is nothing wrong with my laptop...but my company won't let you keep one longer than 3 years.  It is usually a very smooth and fast process:  today a box will be delivered to me by UPS...I'll pack up my laptop in it and ship it back out via UPS.  Tomorrow "they" (my company's IT folks in Charlotte) will transfer everything and set up a new laptop for me and ship it out to be delivered to me on Friday.  Two bright sides to this are:  1) I will not be able to run my weekly financial reports Thursday morning and 2) I will not be able to participate in conference calls on Friday.  Woo-Hoo!!

Meanwhile, it is Wednesday and time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Be sure to head over and check out posts - I've gotten so many excellent suggestions of books and things to make.  Always inspiring!

After finishing up the Goldfinch socks last week I (naturally) promptly started in on another pair of socks.  This will be another pair for moi (because one can never have too many handknit socks) and they are a bit on the crazy side:


SCHOPPEL ZAUBERBALL CRAZY 2389 JUBILAUMSPARTY

It does look a bit like a party!  A Rainbow Party!  This is sock #1 and it is finished through the heel flap (eye of the partridge).  Next up I will turn the heel and head down the foot.  With no computer to distract me, it shouldn't take too long to finish this one.

Reading is a different story.  I guess I have been in a reading funk, or a funk in general.  Nothing is working for me.

First I tried Lessons in Chemistry but I just could not do it!  Nothing in it seemed plausible to me.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there was inequality in the workforce back in the early 60's (just as there is today), but my Dad was a research chemist and working in a lab at that time.  He had nothing but high praise for the women working alonside him.  So, I could not stomach the book.  Plus I did not care for the writing style.

Next up I attempted Spare and couldn't get past page 26 when Harry mentions his 13th birthday in September of1997 and receiving an Xbox.  I don't think they were available until a little later (maybe they were in Europe though??).  Anyway, I found this book to be terribly whiny.  Just my opinion and I admit to being very tired of the whole royal family.  (We even stopped watching The Crown - too much!)

My third attempt was The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper which I thought would be a nice, pleasing book to read.  A good palate cleanser if you will.  But...it was just too slow moving for me and I grew bored.

So, I've picked up Middlemarch again (which IS good...but terribly long) and I'm waiting on several books to come in at my library.  I also have a lot to choose from on my own shelves, so I'm sure I will find something to entice me before too long.

And that will be a wrap for me!  I hope blogger has straightened out and that I will receive any comments via email.  It is frustrating to have things set up correctly (or so it appears) but not have it work!  I've got a busy work day ahead of me and then a bit of free time!  I'll see you back here on Monday - have a good rest of the week and weekend!

15 comments:

  1. I don't think Blogger was fixed as of a few minutes ago, at least not for me. And on an Unraveled Wednesday, too! But that is good news about your laptop. You can almost be on vacation for a couple of days. I hope you find a good book that speaks to you and maybe even finish your rainbow socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last season of Crown was the WORST and we did power through it, lol. I'm interested in Spare but now I'm not sure, i have it on a library hold so no money lost! Love the sock colors and have a wonderful break from your work computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still trying to get through the most recent season of the Crown; I think its best days are behind it, but I still want to watch it all. I'm excited to hear that you get a little vacation from work stuff thanks to the laptop swap! The new socks are beautiful (crazy beautiful, one might even say), and I hope you're able to find a book that appeals to you more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful break for your laptop swap! Woo! I like that sock yarn... it does look like a party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you will enjoy your forced break from your work laptop! That sock yarn is fabulous! I loved Lessons in Chemistry but you are not alone in your criticism of the whole thing - there's too much of today's lens in the looking back for it to be plausible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea I had new comments on my post until I just checked it onsite. Nothing came to my email, so something is up at Blogger Central.

    We're stuck in cold, gloom, and rain for the forseeable--at least through the first week of May. Ugh.

    Enjoy your respite from work, but I'm sure it will all be waiting for you when your laptop arrives. In the meantime the sock looks quite cheery, and perhaps you'll find something to watch on a streaming service instead of reading right now. Give that part of your brain a little rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sock looks fabulous!

    That's what our weather has been like the last few days - and we've gotten a mix of snow/ice pellets/very cold rain on an off throughout

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sock! I love how the dark color adds a marled look. I enjoyed Harry’s description of his military service and his time in Australia and Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new sock! I'm with you on Lessons in Chemistry. I made it through til the end but I just didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The synopsis of The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper sounded good to me, so I ordered it from the library. We will see if I find it too slow moving, too. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting how they get you a new computer! The extra time 'off' will be nice especially on Friday! The new sock is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was listening to a late night BBC 4 radio show and it seems that the British people are rather tired of the royal family too. I have to admit after Elizabeth died they all lost a bit of luster. The remaining herd do seem to be a bit whiny.
    Our laptops used to be chained to a big, heavy rolling cart which defeated the purpose of having laptops in the first place. After the kids learned how to unlock them and steal them they took them all away from us and gave us big, heavy desktops. And to think they want to give guns to teachers. We couldn't even keep our laptops safe and they were locked up tighter than a drum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently went through a reading slump so I can empathize. When that happens, I often pull an old favorite off my own shelf. The sock looks bright and cheerful - fun to knit. May the laptop transition go as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I felt exactly the same about Lessons in Chemistry. It was a big, old NOPE for me. And those socks are just GREAT. Love the way that yarn is knitting up, Vera. XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that yarn, so pretty. I was recommended Lessons in Chemistry recently. I have requested it from the library.Hope I like it!

    ReplyDelete