Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Tiny Needle Tuesday 11/15/22

 Good Morning All,

It's a chilly 29 degrees here this a.m. and the grass looks all frosty.  Guess it's time to harvest our Gilfeather Turnips (best to wait until after a frost to do that).

Yesterday's massage felt wonderful.  And in the afternoon I did manage to make the Cranberry Walnut Upside Down Cake!


Oh my!  So yummy.  The recipe I used is this one Cranberry Walnut Upside Down Cake - the only sub I made was using some orange zest rather than orange extract (which I don't have).  

The basket behind the cake is filled with garden greens - lettuce, chard and collards  - which we used in a salad for dinner last night.  Hard to believe we had a salad with greens, radishes and tomatoes from our garden on 11/14!  That was the last of our cherry tomatoes (the plants have all been pulled out now).  We still have some radishes in the frig and the greens are in a cold frame, so they may well still produce.

I do have some TNT updates to show you.  First up is that crazy long-legged bird.


He/She finally has the gathering basket in his/her mouth.  I like it!  This piece is not finished.  As usual, there is an alphabet to be stitched and a few motifs along the outer borders.

Next up we have the Praise Loudly, Blame Softly sampler.  


The band I am now working on is a repeat of one above, except upside down.  The acorn caps in this band were to be done in hollie point stitch, but it looked too messy and crowded to me, so I'm stitching them like the others.

Finally Ellen Harrison - only 12 years old when she stitched this sampler in 1889!


And a close-up:


Stitching with the lighter colors on this fabric is not easy on my eyes.  I had to rip out the second 8 twice before I had it placed correctly!

So, overall not a lot of progress, but steady progress which is ok.  The main thing is I am still enjoying these pieces (thank goodness!!).

Today I will be heading to the office.  I've got things to print (personal stuff) and some work to do and then things to overnight to Kevin.  We are also having our "holiday luncheon" today.  Pre-pandemic days you may remember that we had luncheons at the drop of a hat or for any occasion - Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.  With everyone still mainly working from home, those events have been cut back.  This year we are having just one lunch for the Fall/Winter holidays and it is today.  It is being held at Pomme Radnor which looks like a beautiful place.  

Here's hoping your Tuesday finds you enjoying life to the fullest.  It is amazing to see that we are halfway through November!  Take Care.

15 comments:

  1. Hooray for more birds! I hope your lunch is enjoyable. I remember all the luncheons you used to have and the amazing generosity of those in charge with all the giveaways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, it's a bit nippy!! And I have the same problem with lighter threads. Even with a magnifier they seems to melt into the linen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how young some of the sampler stitchers were?

    Can't wait to hear how the restaurant was. Have an enjoyable time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cranberry cake looks fabulous -- and thank you for the recipe. :-) And I adore the long-legged bird! As always, your stitching looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the birds and Ellen's stitching was pretty good for 12 years old. Yours is better! I hope you have a good day at the office and a very nice luncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be feeling much, much better. The cake sounds terrific. Very autumnal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like a full report on the 'woodsy chic' restaurant when you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your projects are looking great! That bird keeps getting better and better. I hear you about stitching light floss on linen colored fabric. I've had to get out the light up magnifier while using the magnifying lamp. I swear this time change has blinded me. I'm dragging lamps all over the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That talll bird is fantastic! What a whimsical piece to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All fabulous stitches! I hope the lunch was good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo! That cake looks delicious! Thank you for the link! And your stitching... so beautiful, Vera!

    I hope you had a lovely luncheon today! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like all of your stitching projects, especially the tall bird. Delightful! It's crazy that you're still harvesting in November. But then, I was still picking tomatoes until the house sold in October. That was crazy too.
    Hope your lunch was good.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your stitching is gorgeous, Vera! I can't believe how much you manage to get done. I hope your holiday lunch went well! (And I'm so glad that you're feeling better!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. super yummy cake!! I need to get back to cross stitching, I've been taking a break after stitching that ornament. Your stitching inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the long-legged bird and all the stitching. The cake looks delicious and a November salad from your garden even better.

    ReplyDelete