Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Unraveled Wednesday 11/16/22

 Hello, Hello,

How are you?  Everything is drippy around here.  My we had some heavy rain yesterday afternoon and evening.  It sounded so nice when I went to bed!  And it is milder this a.m. -- 40 degrees as opposed to yesterday's 29.

The holiday luncheon yesterday was lovely.  Pomme Radnor where it was held is an "event venue" that has probably seen better days (the inside looked a little old), but the staff were wonderful and the food was tasty.  We were in an "outside" room (with plenty of heaters in the ceiling) for hors d'oeuvres (mini lobster rolls, mini steak sandwich eggrolls, spinach in puff pastry, a beautiful charcuterie board, coconut shrimp, etc., etc.).  There was a pond with a pair of beautiful swans swimming around just outside the room.  Lunch was served in a large banquet room upstairs - excellent short ribs, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, some carrots, Brussels sprouts, salads, breads, etc.  Desserts were buttlered afterwards - mini creme brulee, little brownies, etc., etc.  Really too much food.  

There were raffles for amazing gifts and everyone got a lovely gift bag which (as always) included the 2022 Swarovski ornament (we get these every year):


My ornaments from all the years are hanging in my kitchen windows where they catch the sun.  Simply beautiful!

Every year, rather than sending gifts to our clients/customers, my company makes a significant gift to the Make a Wish Foundation in honor of our clients.  This year a spokesperson from Make A Wish came and talked a little bit, but also a 15 or 16 year old girl who was the recipient of a wish several years ago.  It was pretty amazing to listen to her talk.

All in all, a lovely afternoon and I did not get home till after 3 p.m.!  Now it is Wednesday and time for an Unraveled Wednesday update.  As usual, I am linking up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Be sure to head over there and follow the links - inspiration abounds!!

Dee and I have decided to do a very unstructured Knit Along with the yarn we share ("Turning Leaves" by Less Traveled Yarn).  The pattern is Cascading Leaves (Rav Link).  Dee is further along than me.  This is where I am.


BUT, we are both kind of thinking that the pattern is not showing up so well with this yarn.  This yarn if gorgeous, but I have a feeling the pattern is better suited to a solid yarn.  Anyway...continuation is to be determined/discussed.  We may negative knit (love this term from Jane) and go with a simpler pattern.

Meanwhile, I decided I could not possible knit Cascading Leaves while meeting up with Dee.  It's a pattern I need to focus on and that doesn't happen when Dee and I get together - LOL.  Too much chatter and laughter and good times.  So, I decided a plain vanilla sock was in order.  Voila:


I'm using a Christmas yarn from West Yorkshire Spinners from a year (or 2 or 3) ago.  The colorway is "Hollyberry."  These may end up being a gift...not sure yet.  I also tend to knit on these for the 20 minutes or so after dinner when Fletch and I are listening to an audio book.

Speaking of books, reading has been good!  Fletch and I are still listening to Graceland, At Last by Margaret Renkl.  It is ok.  I enjoy her writing, but this book is much more political than I expected.  And, though we share similar beliefs and feel the same about the current condition of our Nation, I don't feel as though I need to read/hear about it ALL the time.  I enjoyed her earlier book Late Migrations much more.

On the pages side of thing, I have two finishes.  First up I read The Merchant's House by Kate Ellis.  I enjoy the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths and this book by Kate Ellis was billed as being one for those who like the Ruth Galloway series.  I found it to be ok (3 stars) - not riviting and a bit boring in places.  I may or may not read the next in the series...and if I do, it will not be for some time as I just picked up so many books at the library!

Next up I read Memphis by Tara M. Stringfellow and loved it.  A multi-generational novel set primarily in the Civil Rights era, the characters are richly drawn.  The book is rough/hard in places...but so was (is) life.

I finished Memphis last night and started The Marriage Portrait when I got into bed.  I only read 20 pages or so (2 chapters) but am enjoying it so far.

And, that's a wrap for me.  Thanks for sticking around for a long blog post.  Have a wonderful Wednesday!

15 comments:

  1. What a nice afternoon you had! The food sounds good and I love those Swarovski prism ornaments. And I love the yarn you're using for both of your socks. I've been contemplating some West Yorkshire Spinners yarn for my next socks, but think I better shop my stash. I gave up on Graceland because it was too political for me (and I definitely don't want to read about politics). I'm glad you've got The Marriage Portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the description! That sounds like a lovely place for a holiday get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lunch sounds great. My company doesn't do much for Christmas. PreCovid, we used to do a Christmas lunch at a restaurant with our direct manager (about 8 of us in total), but that's it. No gifts, no bonuses, no big company event. And now post-Covid, we are spread across the province and our manager is in Buffalo, so I doubt we'll do lunches either.

    Love the yarn you and Dee are knitting with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My BIL always received a lot of appreciation gifts for the holidays from businesses. Many were regifted, so I think your company has a wonderful solution to support a worthy cause instead of purchasing gifts. Your new crystal is beautiful - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new ornament is striking! They must be so pretty in your kitchen window!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That party and all that food sounds SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me really happy to hear that your company not only treats its employees well but is very charitable in addition. The luncheon sounds delicious! I can't wait to hear what you think about The Marriage Portrait. I found the beginning a little bit slow, but things soon picked up and I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about The Merchant's House, which I reviewed last month. Isn't there a new noel out? I need to seek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was tempted to buy that Hollyberry yarn after seeing it featured on the Woolly Thistle podcast. It's so pretty but I have enough Christmas socks to last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful ornament. I do like knitting with the West Yorkshire Spinners Yarn. I have some leftover from another Christmas colorway and think there is enough to stripe it with a solid for another pair of socks. I think I'll skip The Merchant's House but will finish The Marriage Portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your luncheon sounded like it was really nice. The food! Oh my goodness. It sounds like a restaurant buffet and I haven't been to one of those in years, since before the big "C".
    Your Christmas socks look a lot like the yarn I purchased last year to make socks for myself since I don't have any Christmas socks. However, I can't get to my yarn right now to check if it's the same one. I would LOVE to make them for Christmas this year, but I don't think that will happen. Time is going very quickly.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your holiday party sounds amazing! And what a fun idea to knit along with Dee - I can't wait to see your project grow. And that Christmas yarn is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooo! That ornament is fun! (and I love the idea of hanging them where they will catch the light!)

    I hope there is no negative knitting... but if there is, sooner than later is my advice! And I like that Christmas yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love that you get a new crystal ornament every year! I can just imagine how lovely they must be, hanging in your window altogether! I'll be it's just magical. XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom had a bunch of Swarovski crystal ornaments... she always hung them in the windows. So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete