Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Unraveled Wednesday June 15, 2022

 Good Morning,

Mid-week and mid-June.  It doesn't seem possible.  Yesterday ended up being very nice after the early morning sprinkles and thunder.  But, I stayed in and did some domestic chores (dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing the kitchen floor) - not as fun as getting out for a walk, but necessary evils.  There are times I think the house is dustier in the winter with the heat on and then there are days like yesterday and I swear it is so dusty due to windows being open.  There is still an awful lot of pollen out there.

I've mentioned before that most days around 4 p.m. you can find Fletch and me sitting on the patio.  We watch and listen to the birds, play with Mabel and chat a bit.  Lately our senses have been overwhelmed with the scent of honeysuckle.


There is quite a bit of it around the (dead) clothesline tree and in our hedge at the side yard.  Yesterday we noticed that our 7 Sisters Rose has opened as well.


This rose is one that was growing at Nanno's (Fletcher's grandmother) house in Suffolk, VA.  Fletcher's Mom took cuttings and had it growing in her yard in Norfolk.  Then she gave us cuttings and now we have it growing here.  The roses are small and not fragrant, but they sure are pretty.

It's going to be pretty warm today.  I had thought about going into the office (check mail, etc.), but I can't get motivated to do that.  LOL  I think I will wait till next week.

And here we are at Wednesday.  Specifically Unraveled Wednesday where like minded folks link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Kat is actually taking a bit of a break this week, so I'm not linking per se, but I do have two new starts to show!!  Woo-Hoo.

First up is a new dishcloth...at the halfway mark.


The pattern is Nai Nai's Favorite (Nai Nai is Chinese for Grandmother) and I really like it.  The pattern is free on Ravelry.  I'm using KnitPick's Cotlin (a cotton/linen blend) which is knitting up so nicely.  Not as rough on my hands like Sugar and Cream can be.  This particular color is Conch (it looks a bit washed out in the photo).

I have also started a new pair of socks for Fletch.


Just starting the leg.  Using the free pattern Hermione's Everyday Socks.  The yarn is some I picked up at a Festival - either Allentown or New Jersey.  It is Youghiogheny Highlands Festival - a 2 ply tweed yarn that is 85% superwash Merino and 15% NEP.  What is NEP?  I have no clue.  But, the yarn is very nice to knit with and this particular colorway is Cafe Au Lait.  I love the blips of blue, pink and yellow that appear.  More importantly, Fletch likes the yarn!  I don't think the pattern will really show with this yarn, but it's a pattern that feels good on the leg.

On the reading side of things, I finished two books.  First up is Island of the Blue Dolphins.  After finishing this I'm pretty sure I never read it as a kid.  Fletch and I read it after dinner and we both enjoyed it - reminded us of Hatchet by Gary Paulsen in some ways.

The second finish was Meet Me At The Museum by Anne Youngson.  She wrote "The Narrowboat Summer" which a number of us read last year.  Meet Me At The Museum is written as a series of letters between two people and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was a good, light read (especially nice after Mungo!!).

I decided to pick up on some of the mystery series I started reading last year, so I just started "Copper River" by William Kent Krueger.  This is in the Cork O'Connor series which I enjoyed a lot last year.  Copper River is taking me a little longer to get into, but the writing is good.

That's it for this Wednesday.  Work emails are flying in as I type this, so it's time for me to pour another cup of coffee and get to work.  Hope this finds everyone doing well.

11 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why NEP is capped on the yarn label, as I don't think it's an acronym, but I think it refers to the colored bits -- we spinners would call them nepps, little fuzzy bits of fiber that are removed from some yarns and added into other for texture. They're common in tweeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great dishcloth pattern, Vera. I love the waffle-y texture. And maybe I'll have to try out that type of yarn next time I go on a dishcloth-knitting tear! (I loved Island of the Blue Dolphins as a child.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great dishcloth pattern and I'm intrigued by the yarn. I might need to get some. Dishcloths and socks are perfect summer knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe a dishcloth will get me back to knitting. I haven't picked up the needles in ages.

    I read Island of the Blue Dolphins aeons ago as a kid and loved every word of it. I wonder why it's suddenly becoming popular as an adult read now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the texture of that dishcloth, I've saved that pattern, thanks for the recommendation! Lovely knitting and isn't it nice to have AC during this crazy weather???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the yard clean-up goes well. The dishcloth and socks are coming along-nice projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really lke that dishcloth. I prefer ones with texture so they have some scrubbing power. I'll definitely go look it up and save it. The sock is gret too. My sock needles are empty for the moment as I just cast off my Monkey Socks last night. I'll have to find some yarn for the next pair
    We had a stormy night here with lots of tornado sightings, thunder and heavy, heavy rain. How I wish I could share it with those in the west who need it so badly. We're dragging around here this morning.
    Take care.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The honeysuckle I planted by the catio opened up yesterday! it's so pretty.
    Dishcloth knitting can be so darn satisfying

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Chinese/American Grands call me Nai Nai and I love it. I am in a battle with Daughter because she wants her new little one to call me something different and I say no way. The first Grand names the grandmother and Nai Nai it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the Island of the Blue Dolphins when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those roses. I'm another fan of Island of the Blue Dolphins. Such an incredible story! And I also enjoy the Cork O'Connor books, but I've only read one. I hope to keep going :) Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete