Monday, March 1, 2021

Weekending

Good Morning!

It's March!!!  Just a few weeks till the first day of Spring (and my Mom's birthday - March 20th - she would have been 102 this year!!).

How was your weekend?  Mine was pretty full.  I was out and about Saturday morning and geeze it was foggy!  It got progressively worse as the morning wore on.  But, later in the day the sun came out.  Fletch and I headed over to Colin & Mailing's and took a nice 1/2 hour walk in their neighborhood before the sun went down.  There were plenty of folks out walking (everyone keeping their distance, of course) and we passed one house where folks were sitting around a fire in the back yard.  The wood smoke smelled wonderful.

Getting back to the kids' home, we lazed around and watched a few episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway?  with Drew Carey - hysterical!!  I laughed so hard.  Then we had dinner which (naturally) was delicious.  The kids are vegan right now (Lent) so dinner was vegan.  We had French Lentil Soup that they made and some home made bread (regular, whole wheat and rye flour combination).


The soup was different than Lentil soup I have made - this version has turnips, onions, carrots, potatoes, rice, spinach.  Very filling and very tasty.  The bread was dense, but so good.  They even had some butter in the frig (left from pre-vegan days) that Fletch could use on the bread!

After dinner Colin got a fire started in their fire pit in the back yard.  Luckily I had brought my wellies over so I could walk through the snow.  It was a gorgeous full moon night for a fire.


Colin had started to clear snow away from the pit, but then thought better of it.  Better to have some snow than a mucky, muddy mess!

Sunday was a rainy day.  Fletch and I did some grocery shopping, some napping and just general lazing around.  A little (very little) knitting was accomplished, but not a whole lot.

I may not be back to this space till Thursday.  Tomorrow I'm taking a vacation day because my friend Carol (have not seen her in almost a year) is coming up to celebrate Christmas and her birthday.  We've tried to get together several times and each time our plans have fallen through.  I'm really looking forward to seeing her again.  And Wednesday I need to get in to the office, fairly early.  My boss, Kevin, is flying in from Atlanta today and his new VP will be on site for some orientation as well.  

I'm hoping today is quiet work-wise as I plan to bake a Blueberry Gateau and also a batch of oatmeal cookies.

Wishing everyone a great start to the week!

19 comments:

  1. What a loving weekend you had! And with homemade soup and bread to boot. It sounds like a relaxing couple of days, and well-deserved. I know you'll enjoy your time with your friend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely weekend, and yes, wood smoke is a wonderful smell!

    Now I wish I had some of that soup ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful weekend you had! It rained like the dickens here the whole time which was fine since I could use a few days to do nothing. Have a wonderful time with your friend. I can't wait to see mine again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A walk, laughter, good company, and delicious food prepared for you all add up to a wonderful weekend! Enjoy your time on Tuesday and I hope things go well on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a wonderful weekend, Vera! I got to see Brian and Lauren this weekend, too. Any weekend with your kids in it is a very good weekend indeed. :-)
    Enjoy your day off. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you had such a great weekend Vera. Ours was quiet too although we did take a trip downtown to try to find the building where Dennis is to get his vaccination today. It was a reconisance trip since we rarely go downtown any more and this is a new campus of WA State University Medical school. We found it with no issues and then had both cars washed. Whoo-hoo! That's some excitement isn't it? Oh, and Dennis bought a new rear windshield wiper for my car. These days you take the excitement where you can. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Vera
    I am glad you had a nice weekend. We enjoyed a rainy quiet/lazy weekend in the house. The dinner and fire looks great. Have a great visit with your friend. Take care, have a happy first week of March!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great visit with Carol. The Blueberry Gateau sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good time over the weekend-even the rest is just what you need to start the week right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun visiting with Carol. Homemade bread, especially if it is dense and crusty, is my favorite with hardy soup. I hope your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your weekend sounds perfect. Family and walks and food and a fire. Then a day of rest. Now I want to make cookies. I hope the new guy at work is a good one. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh campfire with family sounds just amazing. We especially missed Allison as her birthday was Sunday. She had a great weekend with her Will and her best friend Ginny and Hubby in Dallas. Wish she was here. She did fine out, however, that her trial vaccine was indeed NOT a placebo!!! She got the vaccine. That's one of us

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like it was a lovely, relaxing weekend! I hope you enjoy your day off and that your house is soon filled with the smells of yummy things baking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your week is going smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it great to be outside and COMFY? We ate outside at a fast food place over the weekend -- my chair was half in the snow, but it was gloriously sunny & warm. So ready for spring. Have a wonderful visit with your friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you have a great visit and my oh my does that fire pit look inviting! I agree snow is better than mud :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That soup sounds delicious. I think there must be an infinite number of lentil soup recipes. The fire pit looks lovely. Ugh to the mud but then I guess it is part of early Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great weekend. Hope you had fun with your friend. I had a surprise visit from one of mine yesterday and it was great - it's been about a year and a half since I'd seen her. We normally get together a couple times a year, but COVID put a nail in all that. (She's a nurse, so she's being extra cautious to protect her patients, herself and her loved ones)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope your visit with your friend was filled with lots of love and laughter. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete