Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Unraveled Wednesday 11-14-18

Well Good Morning!  It is chilly (about 32 this a.m.), but sunny.  I guess winter is upon us (for a bit anyway).  Tomorrow's forecast is for snow/sleet/rain/more snow/etc.  No real accumulation for us is forecast (Colin & Mailing could get 3-5").  I'm betting everyone comes to work anyway because tomorrow is our Thanksgiving luncheon here - always a tasty time.

Meanwhile, I have nothing to show you!  There has been no progress on the sock.  Last night I cast on for fingerless mitts which I want to make for my brother and SIL in CO for Christmas, but after 5 rows of ribbing I ripped them out:  1) I was using red yarn and red needles (don't ask why - I don't know) and, of course, I was having trouble seeing the yarn and 2) I think they were going to be too small (like kid size instead of adult size).  I've decided to try knitting some up in my left over Lopi yarn from my Sigla sweater.  They should be extra toasty for all the wintry weather they get in CO.

Reading is continuing - I'm still reading "To The Bright Edge of the World" and enjoying it immensely.  I'm taking my time with it because the language is so beautiful.  The Alaskan folk tales contained within the story are really good too.  The only issue I have is that I tend to feel really cold when I read it - lol.  Alaska in April in 1885 with snow and ice and no food and Indians and animals....oh dear! 

Hope this mid-week check-in finds you all doing well!

14 comments:

  1. LOL - yeah, I was cold reading Bright Edge, too (but not as cold as reading Snow Child ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call on the fingerless mitts! Ryan wears his all the time, and Lopi will feel wonderful in Boulder. We're supposed to get 3-5" in NJ, just about the time I'm driving back into it from MD. Winter begins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to read James Michner's Hawaii and save your other book for the heat of August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new mitts sound like a good idea! I love it when a book sucks you in like that! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow is predicted here on a Friday and Saturday. I have nowhere to go, so the weather can do what it wants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Dee had a good idea with reading your book! Ha! Red needles and red yarn wouldn’t work very well for me either. I started a pair of socks for our son-in-law for Christmas last night. The problem was using dark yarn and it was dark outside. I had to put them aside and I’ll work on them more today when there’s light out. I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving luncheon and stay safe in the snow.
    Blessings always, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lopi makes such warm yarns . I know you'll get their fingerless done and they will be lovely. You are a great knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer that you had to rip out the mitts.. but better to find out at the beginning than after they're done! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really read slowly and savored To The Bright Edge of the World, too. Such a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We got a good dusting of snow yesterday, and it's downright cold out there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lopi makes the best mittens and mitts. It's almost waterproof and so warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cold here (30s), but no sn*w. Yet. We keep dodging the bullet.

    I'm back to my mitred square blanket, but knitting is starting up my neck/shoulder thingy again. Sigh.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just rainy here and very dark now since the time change. Sorry about the ripping, but it sounds like you ended up with a better choice. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lopi mittens sound super cozy. I made a pair many years ago and it has held up well. We had the same wintry forecast and it has made me dread the coming winter.

    ReplyDelete