Monday, August 31, 2026

Weekending 8/31/26

 Good Morning!

I've been up and at it for some time already.  Cookies have been made (oatmeal raisin) and the kitchen cleaned up.  All that and Fletch is just getting up!  I had promised Iris I'd make her cookies and since I will be with her tomorrow I thought I'd best get at it.  And before the heat of the day.  There are two dozen without nuts that I will take to Iris and another 2.5 dozen here for Fletch with walnuts.  I may be ready to go back to bed - LOL

Meanwhile, the weekend was so nice.  Plenty of time for stitching and reading and cooking!  Colin came for dinner on Saturday (Mailing and Iris come home today from their weekend away).  I made a shrimp and scallop dish with cherry tomatoes and spinach thrown in at the end to wilt.  Tasty!  I also made the shredded carrot and beet salad that we enjoy so much.

The day was lovely and after dinner we sat outside with a fire.  A new ginger kitty we had not seen before showed up.


She (or he...I don't know) was so friendly.  Jumping up in our laps.  Talking, etc.  She kept going over to the door looking for Mabel (who was inside already for the night).  When Mabel finally came downstairs and wandered over to the door, the little ginger kitty got so excited.  She (he) just wanted to be friends and Mabel was NOT having it at all!  Mabel hissed and growled.  Ginger kitty was not put off.  She (he) hung around for another hour at both the front and back doors!

Saturday morning I had to run to the grocery store (for the spinach for dinner) and scored a great find at the front of the store.  Bulbs!  You may remember when I showed a picture of the Tigridia flowers in Colin's front bed and mentioned that I wanted to get some.  Well, I found them at the grocery store...and a couple of other ones that I had never heard of!


Our flower beds will hopefully be a riot of color next year.  The Crocosmia even claim to be deer resistant!  I think we will still be putting everything inside the fenced garden anyway.  But, who knows?  I may go back to the store and get more bulbs.

Schools around here are starting today.  It's the first time I can think of that they are starting before Labor Day.  

Time for me to pour another cup of coffee.  How was your weekend?

10 comments:

  1. I always get excited about cookies, but I'm equally excited about the bulbs you found at the grocery store! I think the common name for Aqilegia is Columbine, and I predict you will have loads of them eventually. I planted a bunch after I first visited CO and saw them all over, and now I have them all over. My grandmother used to grow Croscosmia; hers were mostly orange and she called them Coppertips. I don't know if they are really deer resistant, but I hope that is true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend! I have only heard of the Crocosmia but not the other two--it will be great to see them bloom next year! The kitty is so pretty but Lena is the same way--she will allow NO feline friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies sound amazing! Your new kitty friend is very cute, but I guess Mabel doesn't want to share your affection or house with anyone else! I'll look forward to see how those bulbs do next year. I am going back to the drawing board on bunny-resistant flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always forget to buy bulbs in the fall and could kick myself every spring when nothing comes up. All of my beds need refreshing. My crocus have all but disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a lovely weekend and a productive morning. We're currently driving through the mountains in Montana while I try to catch up on blogs. Our campground the past two nights didn't have internet so I'm way behind. BUT, we got to see our son and granddaughter both Saturday and Sunday. I made chicken spaghetti, salad and bread for dinner with a store bought chocolate cake for dessert. Yesterday for breakfast I made bundt pan cinnamon rolls and they loved them. They had to leave about 1:30 because Kyleigh had to drive back to Bozeman for classes today and already had homework to do from last week. She's in her 4th year of college. She plans to go on for her PhD but may take a gag year next year to get all of the paperwork and grants in order. She's a smart girl!
    I'm hoping the campground in Spokane has good internet since we'll be there for a month! Good friends are hosting an anniversary party for us tomorrow night. Tomorrow will be 48 years! I can't believe it! I don't feel old enough for that and it seems almost like yesterday. It will be SO good to see our friends and church family in Spokane. They have definitely been missed.
    I hope your day tomorrow with Iris goes well and she loves those delicious sounding cookies.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Labor day is so late this year---all the schools here are starting before too. Hope today with little Iris was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely weekend. I have to smile at Iris' request for cookies. I always tell all my kids and grandchildren I will make their favorite cookies when they visit. I can't get the Columbine to grow here so I hope yours do well. It will be fun to watch for the flowers coming up next Spring and Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I want oatmeal cookies! Your weekend sounds lovely and that visiting Ginger Kitty is adorable. I think Fred & George would have probably reacted the same way as Mabel, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ginger kitty sounds like a delightful guest. (Poor Mabel!) Your cookies sound so yummy, Vera. I love home-baked cookies, but rarely make them anymore. I'll enjoy yours vicariously! And BULBS! Won't they be lovely in the spring! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful weekend, Vera! I should do some baking but I am waiting for this blast of hot weather wanes. Maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete