Monday, August 24, 2026

Weekending 8/24/26

 Good Morning!

It's a crisp morning here in Eastern PA and it feels great.  Feels like the humidity has been kicked away.  We had another strong storm late Saturday night.  Thunder, lightening and pounding rain.  Not enough to measure in the rain gauge, but it sounded almost like hail it was coming down so hard!

How was your weekend?  Ours was nice.  I took it easy and after getting some mild chores done on Friday I successful stayed away from doing any others.  Just as I was getting ready to cook some dinner on Saturday, Colin called and invited us over for dinner.  A nice surprise.  Iris and Mailing will be away this next weekend and then the following two weekends Colin, Mailing and Iris will all be away.  It was good - especially for Fletch - to see everyone on Saturday because it will be a month before we are back there!

Saturday morning I got busy making some food.  First I put up two jars of pickles using a large cucumber from Colin's garden.  Then I made a big batch of ham salad with some left over ham from Friday night's dinner.  Because I enjoy cooking so much, I don't consider making stuff like this to be a chore.  I debated about making a cake or cookies, but decided against that (for now).

On Sunday I finally wandered out to the garden in the afternoon.  I spotted no beans (which is ok) and only 5 cherry tomatoes.  There are still a number of large tomatoes on the vine, but all green.  The garden seems to be winding down.  But then, I discovered this beauty hiding!


A nice, hefty cucumber (which Fletch says looks more like a zucchini).  It is about 8" long.  For some reason the cucumbers from this plant are not all that tasty raw, so I will most likely be making more pickles.

Next I started looking at the apples on our tree and ended up picking a bunch.  Our tree is a red delicious that Fletch planted 3+ decades ago.  There were many years when we had good crops of apples and made a lot of applesauce.  Then the apples started looking damaged and fell early from the tree.  This year we are back to having nice looking apples.


After dinner last night I peeled and cut up the apples and made a nice pot of applesauce!  YUM!!

When I wasn't cooking I managed to read a bit and knit and stitch a little.  How about you?  What was your weekend filled with and what did you do?

It is August's penultimate Monday - let's make the best of it!

3 comments:

  1. It is downright chilly here this morning -- and it's not going to warm up much, either! I am loving it! We also had a strong thunderstorm Saturday night, and apparently we had more rain last night because it was wet when I took Ruthie out this morning. Looks like we're going to get a break for a few days, though. I hope your pickles turn out well and you enjoy this last full week of August!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely here this morning as well, but just as I was going to hang out laundry it got gray and looked like rain. Oh, well, I think I'll wait a bit and see what happens. I made some bread and butter pickles last week with zucchini because I had way too many and I loved how pungent the house smelled. It sounds like you had a good weekend and I hope it's also a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was sweater weather for my early walk with Frankie! (and I probably should have put socks on as well!!) I loved it so much!! I am making chicken pot pie today! It is a good day to turn the oven on! :)

    ReplyDelete