Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Unraveled Wednesday 8/19/26

 Good Morning All,

How are you this morning?  I am doing ok though I wish I had slept a bit better.  It feels as though I woke up every single hour!  But, the coffee is almost ready to pour, so let's get on with it!

Here we are back again at Unraveled Wednesday.  Time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to chat about what we are making and reading.  Though I did not get as far as I had thought I would, knitting has been good.  The first shortie sock was finished and the second one was cast on.


The heel flap on the second sock is about a third of the way knit.  Maybe I will finish that and turn the heel while Iris naps today.

As for reading, I am so happy to tell you that last night I finished The Calamity Club by Kathryn Stockett.  I even finished it in time to return it to the library before they closed (it was due back yesterday).  Whew - what a long, long book.  Stockett is a good story teller and this was a good one.  It just could have/should have been shorter (my opinion).  About half way through the book I got bored.  It felt bogged down.  After another hundred pages or so I just got annoyed!  But, I persevered and I am glad I finished it.  There were a lot of different story lines going on and not all of them were wrapped up (again, my opinion), but there were so many laugh out loud parts in the story and I loved Meg's character.

Last night I started Country People by Daniel Mason.  I'm only 20 or so pages in, so no review yet.  I am looking forward to this particularly since both my parents were from Vermont and I spent so much time in Vermont growing up.  Someone wrote that Mason does an excellent job of portraying the quirkiness of Vermonters (and they sure can be quirky!).

Thanks to enabling from Kat, I also have two new (to me) Ted Kooser books:  Local Wonders: Seasons in the Bohemian Alps and The Wheeling Year: A Poet's Field Book.  Neither of these are volumes of poetry, but rather snippets that Kooser has written about the area of the country where he lives (Southeastern Nebraska).  I started looking at The Wheeling Year and was immediately drawn into it.  I forced myself to put it down and get back to The Calamity Club.  Now I'm looking forward to delving into these two books.

Time to sit back and enjoy my first cup of coffee.  I hope today finds you with a good book and a fun project!

3 comments:

  1. The socks are looking great! I agree with you about the length of The Calamity Club. I thought the story and characters were great but it could have easily been a lot shorter. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Country People. I loved it, but I think some people aren't really into the weird and quirky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that The Calamity Club was so long before I started it, and count myself lucky that I finished it. Like you, I got bogged down in the middle and think the book could have been shortened by 100 pgs. or so. I hope those socks are for you; they look great! Thanks for the alert about the Ted Kooser books. I know my library doesn't have them but I enjoy him so much that I will seriously consider buying them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shorty socks FTW!! They seem like the perfect summer project! I am about half way through Summer in Local Wonders... oh my, can Kooser write! I found The Wheeling Year and ordered it from Thriftbooks! Ha! (a well curated library has LOTS of Kooser in it!)

    ReplyDelete