Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Unraveled Wednesday 8/5/26

 Hello, hello,

I was out early this morning to have a blood test done.  On the way home there were actually sprinkles on my windshield.  I don't think rain is in the forecast, so that was a surprise.  It is very, very humid.  Thankfully my knee continues to feel better...it's just so weird though.

You all know I'm not a huge list-maker, but today I have a list of things to do that is a mile long.  There are not enough hours in the day.  But first, it is Wednesday and time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk about making and reading.  Two things very dear to my heart.

Though it seemed to take FOREVER, I got through the heel flap and turn on my shortie sock and I am now onto the foot.


There were several times whilst knitting the heel flap that I would end up with extra stitches...or too few...always on a purl row.  I think I was just plain tired.  At least I was able to fix it.  The gusset stitches were picked up and then the decreases were done.  I'm now 20 rows into the foot, so not quite a third of the way, but close.  With luck I'll be casting on the second shortie sock soon.

Reading has been a pleasure.  Fletch and I did finish listening to The Old Ways: A Journey on Foot by Robert Macfarlane and we are now well into The Wild Places.  I had not realized, but these are part of a series on "Landscapes" by Macfarlane.  "The Old Ways" is book 2 and "The Wild Places" is book 3.  We will need to go back and listen to #1 and then #4.  Macfarlane's writing is so enjoyable and the narration of these books has been great.

I also read a volume of poetry:  The Wild Iris by Louise Gluck.  Though as a review states these poems celebrate being alive, I found them to be a bit on the dark side.  Still, some of the poems were extremely beautiful.  This particular volume won the The Nobel Prize in 1993.  Colin had seen a write up about Louise Gluck in The New York Review of Books and then bought this volume (because of the title!!).  Once he finished reading it, he passed it on to me to borrow.  I do love having a son who loves to read!

Before leaving Colin & Iris yesterday I grabbed one of the cucumbers from their garden.  Last week Colin used about 15 to make pickles and there are now at least another 15 on the counter in his kitchen!  I had used the last of mine the other day and the one still in the garden has not grown large enough to pick yet.  I think the one I took had been sampled by someone...perhaps a little mole?


No worries - I can just cut that section out.

Well, time for more coffee and getting a move on my long list of things to do.  I hope your Wednesday is a good one!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get all the important things on your list done and have time to relax with your sock (maybe when you're not tired)! I don't think I've heard of Louise Gluck, and I'm not even sure that I knew there was a Nobel Prize for poetry, so it's time for me to do some reading. Little critters (I think chipmunks) seem to love our tomatoes so I often have to cut out sections of them. John gets angry, but it just seems right to share a few nibbles.

    ReplyDelete