Monday, August 10, 2026

Weekending 8/10/26

 Good Monday Morning!

How are you and how was your weekend.  Mine was good.  I found time for a little bit of everything.  Some chores (bathrooms, laundry, kitchen floor) were done.  There was time for stitching and knitting as well as a bit of reading.  And baking and cooking.

A huge yellow bean casserole was made - like Thanksgiving huge.  Lots of onions and mushrooms sautéed up to go with the beans.  Actually I mixed yellow and green beans for the dish.  We've had it twice and there is still at least another serving!  And those beans keep coming in.  I won't bore you with yet another picture, but trust me when I say that Saturday I picked another two servings (at least).  And one of the large tomatoes finally ripened to where it could be picked.

A peach-blueberry cake was baked.  Good, but very sweet and rich.  Most of it will be going over to C&M today.

When I ventured out to the garden on Saturday I noticed that our hibiscus has opened a few of its buds!


The plant is loaded with clusters of buds - often 3 or 4 together.  It should be amazing when more open.

Figgy is doing well - still figs on it, but they do not seem to be getting larger or ripening.  Fingers crossed we get some.  And our apple tree is loaded with fruit.  The apples are all on the small side, but some look to be in very good condition - I may be able to make some applesauce!  So far the deer are sticking with consuming the fruit that has fallen - no standing on hind legs and reaching for branches (yet).

I hope your weekend brought some good things to you and I trust that the week ahead will be a good one!

4 comments:

  1. Your bean casserole sounds quite delicious -- and healthy! I was happy to discover that one of our cosmos bloomed and didn't get eaten by the bunnies (though it's a tiny flower). The devastation this year has convinced me that next year we're going to plant flowers in the non-tomato raised bed. I hope you get to enjoy some of those apples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bean casserole does sound so delicious, Vera! It was wet and so muggy here... it was kind of a lazy weekend (a good one to stay indoors!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good way to use beans! We just eat them and blanch and freeze the rest. And a peach-blueberry cake sounds delicious, but not if it's overly sweet. Your hibiscus is beautiful! Most of the ones I see are red or white but I really like the pink hue of yours. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet your house smells fantastic with all the cooking and baking you do!! I'm down and out with another virus so I'm doing the bare minimum.

    ReplyDelete