Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Unraveled Wednesday 8/26/26

 Hello and Good Morning!

Thanks for the well wishes for my dermatologist appointment yesterday.  I'm so happy to say that absolutely NO spots of bother were found...in fact, my doctor said my skin looked great!  Whew!  All clear for another 6 months.

And now we find ourselves on a Wednesday morning.  Time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers for an Unraveled Wednesday post - the last one for August 2026.  Though my second Honky Tonk shorty sock has not been finished, progress was made.  I knit quite a bit on Monday while Iris napped and I am now just 20 rows short of starting the toe decreases.


With any luck I will knit those 20 rows today while Iris naps and maybe even get to start on the toe decreases!  

I'm anxious to pull out my August Farmer's Daughter yarn and get started on some socks for Fletcher.  The mornings are cool and a new paid of socks may just be the thing.  Of course, I need to knit socks for Iris as well - she has outgrown all of the ones I made for her the other year.  My email tells me that the September yarn from the Farmer's Daughter should arrive Saturday!  Time to get moving.

Reading continues to be good.  Fletch and I are almost finished The Wild Places by Robert Macfarlane.  I think we have just about an hour left to listen.  I've been thinking about what we should read or listen to next.  Colin suggested we might enjoy The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchman.  I've never read anything by her, so am leaning towards that, but I also re-discovered a book on our bookshelves in the office that we read decades ago and may want to revisit.  Driftwood Valley is about a couple's experiences living in the wilderness of Northern British Columbia.

I'm continuing to read Country People by Daniel Mason and am enjoying it.  For me it is not a fast read, but it's providing some good laughs now and then.  

Tana French is not an author I've ever read...not sure why...but recently someone's review of one of her books convinced me to try one.  I picked up The Searcher which is the first of the Cal Hooper books and really liked it.  I will be finishing up that series for sure.

Finally, believe it or not I started listening to John of John by Douglas Stuart for our Read With Us group.  We will be meeting to discuss this book in September.  I'm only 35 minutes or so into it, but I'm happy that so far it is not like Young Mungo at all!  LOL. There is still a lot of listening for me to get done before our Zoom meet-up.

How about you?  What are you making and reading these days?

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure that sock will be finished in no time! Glad you're enjoying Country People -- it's one that definitely made me laugh a lot. I haven't read any Tana French, either, but have The Searcher on Kindle and will get around to reading it one of these days. I think you'll find that John of John is so much lighter than Young Mungo -- I'm betting you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a Sock Master, Vera! I love that yarn and I have been thinking about the most recent installment of sock yarn as well... The yarn is remaining quiet on what pattern it wants to be! John of John will likely be my favorite book of the year. It is a beautiful novel... it is not Young Mungo at all, but has such incredibly beautiful characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news from the doc! I've got my checkup at the end of September and I'm already nervous. At my age I seem to be sprouting more things to worry about every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad for your good news from the doctor and also glad that you'll soon have a pair of cheerful-looking socks. I'll be anxious to see the beginning of Fletch's new socks. I really enjoyed the Cal Hooper series, too. I'm glad you are enjoying JoJ. It is not Young Mungo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am deep in sweater knitting and have promised myself I will cast on a sock when I finish the raglan increases on one sweater and the colorwork yoke on the other. I am so tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big Tana French fan. There are three books in the Cal series, and they're all really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for a good skin check! And all of your reading sounds excellent, too.

    ReplyDelete