Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Unraveled Wednesday 10/26/22

 Hello My Dear Friends,

Once again Wednesday has rolled around and it is time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers.  Kat is away on vacation, but we are all meeting up together anyway.  I was thinking, though, how lovely it would be if we could all meet up with Kat in Presque Isle along the shores of Lake Erie!!!  Food for thought my friends, food for thought.

So, off to the races to talk making and reading.  Thanks to work (my broken record) not a whole lot of knitting was done, BUT I have finished the leg of Fletcher's 2nd blue sock!


So pretty handsome - I love the flecks of lighter colors that are showing up.  I put the last row of the leg in after dinner last night.  I thought I might start - and even finish (!) - the heel flap, but alas other than an hour break to watch an episode of Poirot with Fletch, I was working until 11 p.m. last night.  Yikes!

As an aside, Fletch and I watched all (we thought) of the Poirot episodes with David Suchet a number of years ago.  Now the Allentown PBS station is airing them every Tuesday at 8 p.m.  Neither of us can remember any of the episodes so far!  And, it's great fun to watch David Suchet as Poirot - what a perfect pairing of actor and character.

Anyway, on to the reading.  I did finish Other Birds and found it to be ok.  Not great literature by any means, but it was the right thing to read at that time for me.  Like all of the author's (Sarah Addison Allen) books, this one was filled with magical realism - not my most favored genre.  But again, it was ok.  I do wish we had Dellawisps around here!

Now I'm in the midst of two books.  First up and on my nightstand is Graceland, at Last by Margaret Renkl.  I'm not far into it yet having only read the introduction and the first two essays, but I am reminded of how much I enjoy Renkl's writing.  This collection of essays was written (I believe) over a period of 4 years or so.  Each are dated at the beginning.  If you read and enjoyed "Late Migrations" by Renkl, I think you would enjoy this book as well.

When I picked up Graceland at the library, I took a turn around the shelves, and this book jumped out at me.  I had not heard of Attica Locke (the author), but since the kids are currently living in Texas, I thought I'd take a turn at reading it.  So far, it is not disappointing.  I've read about 50 pages or so and would have read more but (broken record) work got in the way.  I think she has written another book with the same TX Ranger starring in it.  I may need to look for that once I finish this one.

Fletch and I have started listening to LeVar Burton Read to Us after dinner.  We are enjoying hearing his voice and the stories have been good so far.  I need to figure out how to pick up where we left off though.  LOL  We have not yet finished a full story and the next day when I click on the story to pick up where we left off, it always starts at the beginning.

Well, that's a wrap for me.  I need to wake up and clear the fog in my head as I need to head to the office shortly.  Be sure to check out Kat's blog - she is posting even though she is on vacation - for much inspiration from her and her group of Unravelers.  Happy mid-week!

12 comments:

  1. I'm amazed you can accomplish any knitting or reading with all the demands of work! I really like Late Migrations and have always meant to take a look at Graceland, at Last, so I think it's time for me to do that. I just finished Wolf Hall (very long) so shorter essays may be just what I need. Happy Wednesday, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have reread Agatha Christie books and do not remember the endings which makes the reading twice as fun! You are making steady progress on your socks, I picked up my husband's socks and am trying to finish them soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That work has just got to quit!!!! Isn't LaVar Burton a good reader. I could listen to his voice read me the phone book and it would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've listened to LaVar Burton's podcast too and forgotten all about it. I need to go find it again because I really liked it as a bedtime listen. I'm listening to Rachel Maddow's Ultra right now which is NOT going to give you good dreams....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The light flecks in the socks just make it very interesting colored! Nice job on them. The Poirot series with David Suchet is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're getting at least a few breaks for knitting despite your crazy workload right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link to LaVar Burton’s podcast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Sara said, I've heard about "B,B" a lot and might even have it somewhere on the kindle. Will check!

    ReplyDelete
  9. David Suchet is perfect as Poirot, isn't he? You've made a great start on your sock, and its a lovely colour.
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet your knitting and reading - even if just in brief spurts - are really helping you manage the heavy workload right now, Vera. Sometimes we need the mental break of simple stories or a "handsome" sock to settle the "numbers and data" in our days. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh.my.gosh! YES! I would absolutely love to do that meet up Vera! YES, YES!

    I loved those Poirot episodes and should look on the PBS app to see if they are available there! He was brilliant as Poirot!

    ReplyDelete