Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Unraveled Wednesday 10/12/22

 Good Morning!

Another more or less fitful night last night.  I'm so congested during the sleeping hours - very annoying.  I actually sat up and read some poetry (Mary Oliver) from 1:45 a.m. - 2:30 a.m.  I was still awake after that for some time.  However, and luckily, I feel rather good right now, so I will carry on!

It's Wednesday which means linking up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Not a whole lot of knitting occurred during my vacation.  I did manage to finish the 2nd Tidal Wave sock which I showed you all on Monday.  While in Dorchester, NH with no TV and no internet, I managed to cast on the first of a new pair of socks for Fletcher one evening.  Since then I've added a bit.


The leg was mostly done in New England but the heel flap, turn and beginning of the foot have been knit since we returned.  The picture makes the yarn look dark...like black...but it is really a lovely shade of blue from Three Bunny Designs called "Bunny's Got Her Blue Jeans On."  K2P2 at the cuff (15 rows) and then the leg is K6P2 all around.  The heel is Eye of the Partridge and the foot is plain.  And, for the record, I'm using 1.5 metal needles (I really prefer wood, but metal is what I pulled out when we left PA).

Like my making, reading was almost non-existent on vacation!  That was a huge surprise to me.  I took the one "real" book I'm reading (Bel Canto by Ann Patchett), but only managed a chapter.  Fletch and I listened to our audio book (The Way Home by Mark Boyle) only one night.  I never turned on my Kindle - not even once!

I've 3 chapters left in Bel Canto (I think) and I'm anxious to wrap that up as I picked up a book from the library yesterday:  Other Birds by Sarah Addison Allen.  I had requested this some months ago but the wait list was long.  I thought it might come through while we were away, but it didn't until Monday.  The reviews are good and I've enjoyed one or two or her other books.

So, no real news from me - maybe more next week!  Be sure to head over to Kat's blog to see what everyone else is making and reading.  As for me, I'm heading to the office in a bit.  I've got an awful lot to do and Karyn is coming to clean the house today...I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing and vacate my home office when she is ready to clean, so better just to be out of the way!  Since I'm heading that way I will, of course, make a stop at Trader Joe's.  I want to buy a bunch of socks somewhere too - once again my office is having a "Socktober" - collecting socks for homeless folks.

Happy Mid-Week!!

10 comments:

  1. So sorry about the nighttime-sniffles, Vera. I hope allergy season passes quickly. (Although reading poetry in the middle of the night seems like a good way to "get through it.") Enjoy your day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. the allergies are out there! I have mild sniffles and I'm grateful! I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your day is lovely! (Night time stuffiness... sigh. Hello autumn!)

    I have put myself on the waiting list for Other Birds! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the congestion eases and lets you get some good rest soon. Allergies are hard enough to deal with without having a lack of sleep on top. Enjoy the end of Bel Canto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been stuffy at night also and I think in our case it might be due to drying my sheets outside with the pollen. I don't really want to give that up (I'm stubborn that way!) so I've been taking a Claritin before bed, which seems to help. I hope yours gets resolved and you get some time to work on those great socks and read Bel Canto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I don't wash my hair after I've been outside I spend all night sniffling too. I don't think I've ever seen so much ragweed in bloom-it's everywhere and that always does me in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try a Benadryl or Claritin at bedtime. Benadryl has the added benefit of drowsiness. My husband's psych unit used to give it to kids if they had trouble sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The yarn is going to make handsome socks! Sounds like you needed some well-deserved downtime on your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice sock--I remember when you bought the yarn!

    ReplyDelete