Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Tiny Needle Tuesday 9/20/21

 Good Morning!

It is one week from today that we leave on vacation.  So...I have vacation anticipation in the extreme!  Hahaha.  Of course, I've done no packing - haven't even thought about that.  I need to dig out some turtlenecks and warmer clothing since we will be heading North.  Our first night we will be in the Rhinebeck area - well ahead of NY Sheep & Wool.  I also need to think about what projects (stitching AND knitting) to take along for the ride.  Maybe I'll figure that out today.  That will give me plenty of time to change my mind and choose something else (which I'm prone to doing).

Meanwhile, it is Tuesday and time to check in on my stitching.  I mentioned yesterday that I had to frog some of the border on the large sampler (Ellen Harrison 1889 from Needle Work Press).  This is how crazy I can be:  I woke up in the middle of the night Friday remembering that the very upper border had been off by one (yes, just 1) thread.  I compensated on the bottom border so that they lined up.  But, what I realized in the middle of the night is that it wouldn't work.  There are more horizontal lines across and they would not line up.  Plus, the little motifs in the piece would not be placed correctly.  So, out it came.


Part of the upper border and a smaller section of the bottom border plus the right side stitches that had been done.  Thankfully not a ton of them.  I have yet to re-stitch what was ripped out.

The second sampler is coming along.  I managed to do a little (very little) stitching on that one.


I had forgotten how much Eileen Bennett (the designed of this sampler) likes acorns.  They appear in a lot of her samplers.  There will be more acorns between the green designs in this particular band and then there will be another band of birds and acorns.  What the piece needs is a hungry squirrel, but there isn't one.

In happy news, Colin is flying up today.  He was supposed to have a meeting with his boss on Thursday and then dinner out.  That has been cancelled thanks to the boss testing positive for Covid over the weekend.  Colin is still having a meeting with his team and hopefully meeting with a new person he just hired for his group.  The cancelled meeting and dinner means that Colin can come here for dinner on Thursday!  I'm planning to try my hand at a curried chick pea soup.  YUM!!

Tomorrow I'm planning to head to the office (and Trader Joe's) one last time before vacation.  Today is filled with laundry (sheets and towels) and a light grocery shopping.  And, hopefully digging through stash and figuring out vacation knitting and stitching.  Oh, and maybe a little work-work.  HA!

Have a great Tuesday!

15 comments:

  1. I'm laughing at your comment about a hungry squirrel! I'm so glad to hear that you'll have a visit with Colin while he's in town (and I hope his boss isn't too sick). Here's hoping the next week goes quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love your samplers, and the fact that you woke up at night realizing your border adjustments wouldn't work. At least ripping out in knitting goes much faster! I'm never glad that anyone has covid, but I am glad that Colin will be there for dinner. Now if you could just put work on hold to get ready for vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the ripping out of stitches, but at least you figured it out early on and not halfway through the project.
    Planning for vacation sounds great. I know I just had one, but I'm ready for another.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curried chickpea soup will be PERFECT for the cooler weather on Thursday. Have a wonderful visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do some of my best "fixing" while I'm supposed to be sleeping, so I totally relate to your figuring out your "fix" in the middle of the night! I'm so happy that you get some bonus-time with Colin, and also that you're so close to your vacation. (I never pack early, but I sure do a lot of THINKING about what I'm going to pack!) XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful that you get to see your son as often as you do. Our cool weather will be here on Friday, but not until we suffer an almost 90-degree day or two. Ugh. I hope your soup is a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun with your son! And good luck figuring out the vacation projects! I always take 3x as many as I need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cooler temperatures and possible rain will appear tomorrow and through the weekend - perfect sewing/knitting weather. Enjoy your unexpected visit and dinner with Colin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited that you get to see Colin! What a treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice to get an unexpected dinner with Colin. Mom and Dad popped by on Saturday for a couple hours, which was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - your vacation will be here so soon! I feel your pain on the sampler border -- mine are ALWAYS off. Every darn time. I hope you find a fix that you're okay with. It can be frustrating. It's a good thing that the stitching part can be so satisfying!! :)

    I hope you enjoy your visit with Colin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a boon - dinner with Colin! (but sigh that his boss has covid... )

    I love the "take over" of Vacation Brain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We just picked up a big bag full of acorns from a walk we took with Pup yesterday. Our squirrels have nothing like that here. They are going to be surprised when we toss them out in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always make a pile first of what I am taking in yarn and projects! lol Nice to see the son tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun that you will have some extra time with your son. I always plan my travel knitting or stitching before I decide on clothing. Priorities! And I smiled at the idea that you often change your mind. Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks of stitching ideas/yarn/projects when sleepless in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete