Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Baby Hawks!!

Good Morning Everyone!

Yesterday I managed to pull it together and head into the office and I'm so glad I did!  I could see the mother hawk sitting on the nest as I walked up to the building.


Look at that disgusting mess on the wall of the building!!  And, as I mentioned, the entire entrance area to the building is covered like that.  Anyway, can you see her on the right?

Once I got to my office I grabbed my phone and went into Bill's office where there is a good view of the nest (still below it, but a good view).  At first I didn't see anything, then the mother flew back in and two babies came into view.


The two babies are big!  And so downy looking - black and white...and the mother is brownish (I'm pretty sure these are red tailed hawks which are plentiful in the area).  The mother flew off (guessing in search of more food) and the babies were a little more visible.


So cool to see! 

I didn't hang around long - was probably at the office only an hour or so and then headed home.  I did what I needed to do and got out!  The afternoon got a little busy with work-related things, but not over whelming.  Still, I did not manage to get out for a walk.  Today I may have Fletch bring my bike up from the basement, dust that off and take it over to Oaks just for something different to do.  The weather should be good for bike riding.

Last night after dinner I did tackle the canning.  First up I made Bluebarb Jam (blueberry-rhubarb).  When that was finished I dove into cutting up the jalapenos I had gotten (they were the largest I have ever seen!!) and made candied jalapenos.  I love these added to salads, or on tuna sandwiches, or just to snack on out of the jar!  Voila!:


Eight half-pint jars of jam and four half-pint jars of jalapenos.  That's not a whole lot for 2+ lbs of peppers!! 

And that's it for me on this Tuesday morning.  Hope you are all doing well!

18 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Very cool sighting of the Hawk feeding her young. They are cute! The jars of jam and candied jalapenos sound yummy. Take care and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hawks! What a treat to see them! :)

    And go you on your canning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Cowboy Candy with a lot of sugar? We canned the leftover brine for ham and kielbasa. I tried pepper jelly but haven't hit on a recipe I tried years ago that was THE best ever.

    I would need training wheels on a bike. Would love a trike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the baby hawk photos! It is great to see them (and I'm glad I'm not in charge of cleaning the wall). Jalapenos are on my grocery list and I'm definitely going to try your recipe. They sound like the perfect addition to salads, and the bluebarb jam sounds delicious also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, you were busy! I'm anxiously awaiting my dill in the herb garden so I can get some pickles going. It's just been so terribly wet here, and that snow and cold we had so late really put everything behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone's jams and jellies posts are making me crazy. Last week I wanted a fruit pie and now it's some homemade jam.
    Those babies are so cute. I miss seeing our Osprey babies. We saw some adults on their nests yesterday on a walk but the nests were too high to see inside. The lower nests are out on the Bay and we aren't going on that pier. Our numbers are still too high here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwwwwwwwwww...such sweet babies. Messy, but cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That'll be some clean-up job when the hawks leave the nest, but how cool that you get such a view!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The babies will be flying in a couple of weeks. Great job on all the canning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, thank you for sharing the baby hawks photo!!! What a treat! The building can be cleaned after they fletch.
    Great job on the jam canning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got to see the hawks! That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool to see the hawk and her fledglings! I do love a red-tail hawk. Seeing them fly over with the sun shining through their red tail is something. I saw the can of Cafe du Monde coffee.. do you use that all the time? I love Cafe du Monde. We spent 4 days in New Orleans in 2015 - I'm not sure if you were reading my blog then. Have a super week. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I'm so glad that you were able to get photos of the baby hawks. SO many people are busy making jam and jellies with their rhubarb and raspberries too. I've been giving most of mine away in drive by drop-offs.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing those cute baby hawks. The full-grown ones I see around here just look like birds looking for a tasty (Holly-sized) snack. and yay for the canning (why isn't it called "jarring") ... everything sounds tasty, especially those candied jalapeños.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures of those big babies! They are cute and fuzzy. My husband had jalapeños on his tuna sandwich today! Maybe I need to learn to can.

    ReplyDelete
  16. now that is super exciting! I bet they will be a treat to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love seeing the birds. They will be fledglings sooN!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The illuminati is a secret society that strives to promote spiritual and inflection interested moral values.   It was founded under principles of love, justice, unity, peace, and relief. The illuminati bring together individuals of goodwill, irrespective of their differences and backgrounds, and ensure that these good men become better in the society. Do you wish to be a member of the illuminati and become rich, famous, powerful and excel in life? Were you will be giving $19,00,000 as first benefit. Kindly contact me now or add me up whatsapp +2347057052206 Email williamsilluminati230@gmail.com     

    ReplyDelete