Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 12/20/23

 Hello and Good Morning!

It's in the 20's and the house feels chilly.  I'm layered up including a shawl wrapped around my shoulders and hopefuly my coffee will warm me soon.  I'm so happy to tell you that C&M are safely home.  They flew in yesterday arriving around dinner time.  Bonnie (Mailing's Mom) picked them up and took them out to dinner before dropping them at their house.  I'm betting Talbot and Marcel are thrilled to have them back home.  They will be coming over here tomorrow for dinner and I cannot wait to see them.

It was a screw that ended up in my front tire causing it to lose air pretty rapidly.  Fletch took it in yesterday afternoon and it's all fixed now and no charge!  I love our mechanic!

Now it is Wednesday and time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.  Here's what I've got:


Yup, just a measly 16 rows of ribbing for my Lopi hat.  Once again I got off on my count and ended up with an extra stitch or two, but I discovered it after only one row, so tinked back and now I'm on track again (I hope).  I plan to take the ribbing to 20 or 25 rows so that the brim can be folded back nicely if desired.  Then I will do a bit of colorwork.  Something simple - maybe a zig-zag pattern.  And I have not decided on the color yet.  I have a hot pink that would be so pretty if I want the hat to be for a girl.  I also have some Lopi left over from my Sigla sweater and the pale grey would be very pretty...or green or purple...or a combination!  Decisions, decisions.  I will make up my mind once I finish the brim.

I had all good intentions of casting on for my Hitch on the Move, but that has not happened.  Or another pair of socks...that has not happened either.  My days seem to slip away from me with baking, etc.  Now I need to concentrate on wrapping presents for here (Fletch, Colin & Mailing and Mailing's family).  There are still a few things I need to pick up.

Reading has also been a bit slow, but I (finally) finished (lasts night) Love and Ruin by Paula McLain.  This is a novel of Ernest Hemingway and Martha Gellhorn.  I just found the book to be ok (easy to put down).  I preferred her book "The Paris Wife" about Ernest Hemingway and Hadley Richardson.  

Fletch and I are listening to Fox and I: an Uncommon Friendship by Catherine Raven.  Our reading has been hit or miss with having to feed Talbot and Marcel each night.  Now that the kids are back, we should be able to listen more routinely.  

I find that listening to audio books is not easy for me.  I don't remember a lot of what I heard.  However, I have so many Audible credits that I ended up buying "The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store" which is our next Read With Us book for discussion in early January.  I've moved up in the queue at the library for the book, but still am a ways from getting it (I'm #95), so figured I would listen so that I can participate in January.  I'm hoping to start that today or tonight and am hoping that I will be able to retain some of what I hear!  LOL

The other day when I posted a picture of our Christmas tree, I neglected to show one of our favorite ornaments - it ALWAYS goes at the front of the tree:


We call it the Golden Tooth ornament.  LOL  Colin made this in Kindergarten and a piece of the gold glitter used on the tree ended up on Colin's mouth in the picture.  It cracks me up each time I see it.

I'll be heading to my office in a bit.  I've got some things I need to do there and then pick up some wine (of course).  I'm not sure about a Trader Joe's run.  We don't really NEED anything, but I'm sure I could find something to buy!  I hope your Wednesday is a good one.  Stay warm and calm as we approach Christmas Day!

20 comments:

  1. I have ornaments that my kids made that are MUST's for my tree as well... One is a old light bulb that a creative teacher helped them "turn into an ornament" I remember opening it and saying "what a beautiful ornament, Sam" and he said... Mom... it's a lightbulb! We all laughed so hard... and I remind him every year that I put his lightbulb on the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for C&M being home! That is wonderful news and I hope they can settle in easily and quickly. Ornaments like your Golden Tooth one are family treasures and deserve to be on the front of the tree! I hope your Wednesday is a good one and you have a lovely dinner tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the BEST kind of ornaments. While we put our tree up right after Thanksgiving, we're waiting for our daughter to arrive on Saturday before hanging ornaments. (And I was really touched at how happy she was when I told her that!) So glad your kids are back--and I'll bet their cats are over the moon.
    I know what you mean about audiobooks... I have to choose what I listen to vs. read with my eyes very carefully. I almost never-ever listen to non-fiction on audio, unless it's memoir. I'm really best with 'good old-fashioned storytelling' on audio, b/c it's easier to follow. I've also learned that I have to let go of nailing every detail/name/relationship/connection--and trust that I'm getting 'the gist' of things. Because otherwise I drive myself nuts 'rewinding.'
    Enjoy the upcoming merriment as well as a little time time for R+R!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh that is chilly. 49F here, positively balmy. You are not alone in being busy..me too, but it's all good! Have a lovely time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the kids made it home safely.

    You're doing better on your hat that I am on my SILs socks.. I was supposed to finish them last night, but Dave just HAD to go out and he won't go out alone. I'm hoping I can finish them tonight - a couple more inches left and then the toe to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That ornament is so funny! I didn't see the glitter at first, but then I couldn't not see it! Glad the kids are home safely.

    For me, I find that my attention wanders with audiobooks if there's something else I could be noticing, so I have the most success listening to them if I'm doing something where I want to focus on what's in my ears, like walking/running, folding laundry, doing meal prep, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Vera. I know that you're one happy Mama to have Colin and Mailing back home. No matter how old they are, we still want our chicks around.
    I finished the latest prayer shawl yesterday and started Piper's next sweater, the white one this time. She asked for the "Portage" sweater like I've made Mandy and myself. I think she likes the pockets on it better. Yesterday I bought the yarn for the orangey/fall looking one she wants. I love that she wears them virtually every day. We're taking her to the zoo tomorrow since today is the last day of school before winter break.
    I hope your day turns out great!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the kids got home without any hitches. I was just going to text you about it.

    Stephen is driving up on Saturday morning which makes me MUCH more relaxed about it than him driving up late on Friday. Looking forward to getting together with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy everyone is home safe. I agree with you--it is hard to find time for the 'normal' things with all the jolliness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad everyone had safe returns Vera. Your weather made me instantly cold and a bit envious too… I miss that kind of weather and the ability to bundle up. I very seldom can listen to audio books because I get way too distracted, so actual books work better for me. Stay toasty warm and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to have the family back together right before the holiday. I'm looking forward to seeing my wayward son next week. He lives in MI and between the pandemic and their 2 babies being born, I haven't seen him or the babies in 3 years. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It warms my heart to know that C&M are HOME again!! What a Christmas gift for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that C and M are home. That will be the best Christmas gift of all. Your days sound similar to mine, they seem to slip away. I hope to get to the baking tomorrow. I keep saying that but the time gets away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you had a good day! How nice to have the kids in town!!!!! The new hat will be pretty and the colorwork is always a good knit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had to pick up a RX at Giant Eagle pharmacy yesterday and there was not only no parking spaces, there were no carts!! Can't imagine the crowds Friday. Yay on the "kids" being home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All I can think of with that Golden Tooth ornament is Joe Pesci in Home Alone! Priceless! I'm so happy to hear that C&M are home safe and sound and I can bet how happy you all (and the kitties!) are, too. Christmas will be extra special for all of you, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yay they are home! if I go into TJ's I spend at least $50...just saying. I'm still battling the virus so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, how wonderful to have them home at last. I know you feel a special kind of Christmas Joy this year.

    Love the story about Colin's ornament. The quirky stuff is the most memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that ornament, and your name for it is hilarious! Have a wonderful Christmas, Vera, and enjoy your family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of our favorite ornaments is "Macaroni Katherine," which she made in kindergarten. A heart-shaped velvety-feeling piece of card stock, her school picture in the middle, white rick-rack to trim, and her name spelled out in macaroni letters! It's just adorable... going on 35 years and none of the letters have fallen off yet!!

    ReplyDelete