Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Unraveled Wednesday 12/13/23

 Good Morning My Friends,

Wow!  I slept in this morning and now feel as though I am running late.  Luckily I will not be going to the office today as originally planned, but I still need to drive over to C&M's to feed those hungry cats.  So, this will be (hopefully) a quick post.  It's Wednesday and time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk making and reading.

I am so happy to tell you that the Red Wing Blackbird socks are finished!!  Woo-Hoo!



Yarn like this always gets funky around the gussett, but I am ok with that.  On one side is is solid black and on the other it pooled with the colors in the stripes.  Oh well, they will be warm and cozy (hopefully) on Colin's feet.

Last night I cast on in Lopi for a colorwork hat.


But after only 3 rows of ribbing (2x2), my stitch count is off.  So...this will be ripped out and I will try again...or I will try something else!

On the reading side of things, I am in the midst of two non-compelling books.  Which is a bummer.  I am reading Love and Ruin by Paula McLain - a novel of Martha Gellhorn and Ernest Hemingway.  I enjoyed "The Paris Wife" by McLain much better.  

Fletch and I are listening to Fox And I: An Uncommon Friendship after dinner, but often skip listening if Fletch wants to get over to feed the cats a little early.  Neither one of us minds skipping, so that tells you something!

On the Christmas side of things, I did start baking!  Yesterday afternoon I made Fruitcake Cookies (a new to me recipe) and wow!  They are tasty!!  And our table-top tree is up and lights are on it!  We have yet to decorate it, but so far Mabel is behaving.

For some reason blogger is not allowing me to include pictures of the cookies and the tree.  Oh well, another day.  I've got to fix a travel mug of coffee and high-tail it over to C&M's.  Hope your Wednesday is a good one!  I'll be attempting to catch up on blogs later on.









20 comments:

  1. It's probably just as well that you couldn't include a picture of the cookies because then I would want cookies even more than I already do. It may be time for me to bake some myself. Those socks look great and Colin will appreciate them once he's back here where it's often colder than in TX. I'm sure Talbot & Marcel will be waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great socks! Those wonky gussetts look like a skilled design element to me. Think about how hard that effect would be to do on purpose....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those socks turned out great and I know Colin will love them. I made Christmas Crack last night for a gathering today and burned it. I've never done that before, so I was up early this morning making another batch. The problem was that I forgot to pre-heat the oven and put them in a cold oven and turned the heat on. They don't "look" burned but you can taste it in the carmelization. Bleh.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The socks are just right for your son! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those socks are wonderful!! He is going to love them. I slept in until 5 am (as opposed to 4 am....) so it's a win win for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the socks, even with the pooling/flashing -- sometimes that can be really wonky & distracting, but I really like how it turned out in this pair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are very cool socks, Vera! My eyes always twitch with pooling yarns . . . but there isn't much you can do about it when you're knitting a gusset! I think the pooling makes for an interesting element in your lovely socks! Have a great day! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thing about the pooling is that that’s where I totally see their namesake!! So I say thumbs up.
    I want to know more about those fruitcake cookies. They sound like something I need to make this season!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fruit cake cookies sound so very interesting! (and I am with Kym on the pooling of yarns... that part of the sock will mostly be inside the shoe!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on the socks! I think that weird pooling around the gusset is something you just have to learn to live with if you knit with variegated yarn. Hope you are able to get some decorations on the tree without Mabel giving it a notice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what snazzy socks! I love them.

    I say decorate the tree in one fell swoop and that way, Mabel won't have the single temptation of one or two ornaments that catch her eye. She'll just be overwhelmed and intimidated. (Ha ha. She's not the cowering type, as we know.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The socks look fabulous! Hopefully your day is not too hectic

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing your holiday decorations. Everyone has such different but interesting and pretty things. I am always happy to know that you and Dee meet up on Saturdays to knit and chat and laugh. I bet you can't wait until C and M are home for good. I finally picked up my computer late today. I am reading all the posts but only commenting on the most recent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm playing catchup tonight ... love seeing your decorations, hearing about your baking, and imagining you madly spending that 25th work anniversary money so you can officially retire!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are great socks and it's always a good feeling to finish a pair. The cookies sound delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought the solid black areas were part of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete