Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Unraveled Wednesday 01/01/20

Good Morning and Happy New Year!


Here I go - tempting fate by posting (or at least trying to post) two days in a row from home!!  It is another grey and chilly morning here.  There is snow around us, but thankfully none right here.  Yesterday the sun managed to sneak out in the afternoon, so after lunch I headed over to one of my favorite trails along the canal (between the Schuylkill River and the Canal in the Phoenixville area - Dee, you and I have walked there).  It was the perfect time to go.  Not many people on the trail - a couple of walkers, a few with dogs (one guy on a bike who was having one of his dogs pull him and the other running behind him!).  It was so peaceful.  There were plenty of geese and ducks and then this magnificent creature appeared in front of my eyes (on the opposite bank of the canal).




He/She was one of the largest Herons I have ever seen.  Truly gorgeous.  I pointed the bird out to several people, but apparently they are not nature lovers, as they had no idea what it was - one guy wasn't even sure it was a bird!  LOL.  I'm happy to report my old friend is still on his/.her bench (but I think a Santa Hat would have helped a bit.)


How was your New Year's Eve?  Fletch and I had our usual quiet evening at home (we stopped going out New Year's Eve decades ago).  I made a crab quiche and steamed some broccoli for dinner.


It tasted good going down, but a few hours later I was not feeling very well.  We watched an episode of The Crown and I went to bed by 10:30!


But meanwhile, it's Unraveled Wednesday and I want to show you 3 of the projects I am working on.  Yes, three!!  First up, the never-ending Canary Blanket for Colin.  It is slowly coming along.  I am about 1/3 of the way finished (or at least I've used 1/3 of the yarn I purchased).








 


 


I was a little disappointed to see how small it looks on the bed, but it is a blanket to wrap up in watching TV, no need to be queen-sized!  It is just not the speediest of knits.  Still, I will plug away on it.  Next up some Monkey Socks:





 


 


I cast on for this sock on Christmas Day (early morning before Fletch got up).  This is a slower-than-normal knit for me due to the purls at the beginning of the rows.  The yarn is Sole to Sole by Sirdar and it is "sticky" (for lack of a better word).   It is 75% wool and 25% nylon, but feels different than other yarns I have used.  Still, I like the colors.  I just turned the heel last night (using the black yarn that Nancy sent me - the toes will also be black). 





Next up is this:





 


 


Oh how I wish you could touch this!  Mailing's parents gifted me 4 skeins of yarn at Christmas (!!) and this is one of the skeins.  It is 100% Baby Alpaca.  I decided to make my own pattern (Ha!) for a headband to wear when I walk (my ears are so sensitive to wind and cold).  I'm basing it on one of the many cable patterns in the book shown (which Fletch gave to me last year).  This is very fun, but also slow.  The Japanese cable patterns are complicated and fiddly (personal opinion), but the result is gorgeous.





Not shown are the shawl in progress (has not been touched in months...but that will be remedied soon) and a sweater cast on ??? - I can't remember when.  It is a summer sweater, so that may marinate a bit longer.  LOL





So that is currently where everything is.  Our Christmas Tree is still up and decorated.  I always liked taking it down on January 1st, but Fletch likes it to stay up longer.  And, truthfully, I'd rather just relax and knit, cook, and hopefully get a walk in today.  I'm making pork chops for dinner along with black eyed peas (for luck) and smothered cabbage.  None of that takes long to prepare, so I've the day ahead of me to do what I like!





Linking up with Kat on this first day of the New Year for Unraveled Wednesday.





Cheers to 2020 my friends - let's make it a banner year!


 





20 comments:

  1. I think the heron is just beautiful! You've got terrific projects in progress, and I especially like your cabled headband. That looks like a great book and terrific yarn! Here's to a wonderful 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heron photo is wonderful with the full reflection. Glad you're able to put the black yarn to good use. Happy New Year to you and Fletch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects.

    We'll have to hike that canal again one of these days. It was a very nice place to walk and I've got to see the bone-guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Heron! It amazes me how many people are so unaware about nature.
    Our new year's was quiet. I was so tired I went to bed before midnight!
    Love the new socks... and baby alpaca! So soft! You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear, hear to the new year! The socks look great and I know just what you mean by sticky! I admire the Japanese book of stitches. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful Heron to see on your walk. Lucky girl! Your projects all look great. I'm still making the same stuff. Mittens, hats and sweaters mostly with socks thrown into the mix too.
    I stayed home last night by myself, (Dennis flew to NE yesterday), and watched music videos before heading to bed before 10:30. Fireworks and people going crazy woke me before midnight and it continued unabated for a few hours so I slept a bit later than usual this morning.
    Today, more utube and knitting. I'm watching the Rose Parade right now. The floats are stunning.
    Have a wonderful day my friend and a successful 2020.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, great shot of the heron.. Taking a walk on the 1st day of the year sounds good. It is too cold and windy here. Your projects look pretty. I wish you all the best in 2020, a happy & healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful projects! Those last cables are exquisite!!!!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely knitting! And that heron is just stunning! We have herons at our lake up north, and no matter how many times I see one, I always find it thrilling! They are so majestic and impressive. Happy New Year, Vera! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Great Blue Heron is truly spectacular! I think it is so lucky to see them - they are so stately and move so slowly, especially when they are "hunting"!

    I am envious of your stitch directory! What a treasure! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that heron is over by you.. we've had one like that eating our koi and now herons are on my naughty list. I love your headband.. I also love alpaca and look forward to seeing it finished. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to touch that alpaca. What a lovely gift for you.
    I do love that yellow gold color and find that most of the throws are too cumbersome for snuggling so your size is probably perfect.
    I so miss my annual crab meat spread/dip but shellfish - no more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Herons are very majestic. The Monkey socks look really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All your knitting looks great! I'm currently knitting a blanket as well -- and like yours, I think mine will be smaller than I think it will. But whatever. Lap blanket is fine! We see herons once in a while on the lake close by. They are amazing! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't you just love to spot a magnificent heron? Thank you for sharing him/her. I once had a similar experience with an owl in a neighborhood tree. I was out walking and spotted it. I stopped and watched it for awhile. When I tried to tell a guy getting out of his car, he looked at me like I was crazy. Nice knitting projects - keep plugging away on that blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy new year! We usually leave our tree up longer but this year we took it down today. Happy knitting too. Some lovely yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have a heron that stalks the shores at the lakehouse, and it never ceases to thrill us. This year, we have a family of bald eagles that frequents the tree at our dock! Luckily, all of our neighbors are equally excited by the nature around us.

    Your projects look great. I love the headband in process especially. It's the perfect match of colour and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you are having a wonderful and relaxing time. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a fantastic shot! He is bigger than the one I see at our duck pond. My New Year's eve was super quiet and to bed early, just the way I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year, Vera!! Yay for walks outside and for cozy headbands to keep your ears warm. I've seen a few of those Japanese stitch guides online and look forward to you sharing more!

    ReplyDelete