Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Unraveled Wednesday 05-09-18

Good Morning!


Gosh it is a beautiful morning in Eastern PA, but my brain is foggy and I am so ready for a nap (it's 8 a.m. as I type this...).  Our property is made up of two lots - the lot our house is on and the 2nd lot we own behind that which is wooded.  Beyond our woods there is a field and then a plant - Streamlight - which manufactures flashlights and other stuff.  Streamlight has construction going on for an additional building (guess business is good!).  It's been annoying in the afternoon when the work crews are still working after 5 p.m. and we are trying to enjoy a beverage on our patio.  Lots of banging and clanging and back-up beeping going on.  Heavy construction vehicles.  Well, last night (this morning) we were awakened at 3 a.m. to Major Noise.  Fletch ended up going downstairs and sleeping on the sofa.  I closed our back bedroom window and turned the ceiling fan on high and eventually fell back asleep.  Oy vey!  I'm betting Fletch will be calling Streamlight - or the township - today to complain.


Not a lot of knitting has happened, but no unraveling.  Yesterday at lunch I knit outside and managed to turn the heel, pick up the gusset stitches and start going down the foot:




Still hoping to finish this week....


On the reading front, not much has been going on either.  I started The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah last weekend.  But gosh!  What a cast of dysfunctional, abusive, cruel people.  I got about halfway through it but just was not enjoying it at all.  So, I quit.  Very unusual for me to get that far along in a book and not finish, but life is too short to read stuff that you don't enjoy.  Last night I started Mrs. Hemingway by Naomi Wood.  I've only read a few chapters, but am enjoying it.  Lighter reading for sure.


Joining in with Kat and others this hump day.  Hope everyone's week is going well.

14 comments:

  1. Once a year the RR crew does an all night maintenance job and then you hear voices, clanging and engines ...Sorry for the poor night's sleep! Yay for turning the heel-always a big mile stone for sock knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathize with you on the noise: our neighborhood is undergoing all new sewer and gasline work, which will last well through September. It starts at 8 AM and goes nonstop til 3-4 PM. Ugh.

    No way to get away from it! And it is finally starting to be porch and patio weather! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egads!!! 3 AM is a ridiculous time to start construction. Hope Fletch can get through to someone.

    The sock is looking pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loud construction noise is unnerving, but unforgivable at 3 am! I hope that doesn't happen again and you get a nap and/or a restful sleep tonight. But hooray for knitting outside and turning the heel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, 3AM is much too early for construction activity in a residential area.

    I just finished the Great Alone, and sometimes it was a slog. Thankfully, the ending had a lighter tone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh - nothing is worse than uninterrupted sleep!

    The sock is looking good. I've barely knit a stitch since Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. It doesn't seem quite right that a company can do loud construction work during the night!!! Not fair!!! I've heard from many reading friends that The Great Alone is . . . not worth the hassle. Good for you for putting it down. Somehow, we've been trained to "keep reading" even when we don't like the book. It's good to break that mold! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is no wonder you are so tired . So sorry! Your sock is awesome. Love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say, we are lucky - even though we live in the city, our neighborhood is really pretty quiet.

    I didn't think I was interested in reading The Great Alone - and no one I know has liked it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have been putting a new bridge over the bay a few blocks away and they have been pounding big beams into the water for months. I don't really hear it anymore but it used to drive me crazy. The stupid foxes bother me more. It must be mating season because they are out there all night screaming at each other. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't imagine construction going on at 3 am! Yikes! Yes, a phone call is in order. Your socks are going to be spectacular! I have some yarn to start a pair.. now I wonder.. where it is! LOL! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. well ugh, construction noise in the middle of the night is not good at all. I also abandoned The Great Alone (I don't think I got quite as far as you did) - completely puzzled by all the rave reviews. There are so many really amazing books that don't rely on cruelty and abuse to motivate the characters...

    ReplyDelete
  13. the noise is a weird thing, I hope there was a good reason! Lovely knitting and I hope there's no noise now and you get a good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had some road work over night a couple of nights this week, it is just amazing how far sound travels! And, how noisy it is! Nice work on the sock! And, I agree - life is way too short to read books you don't enjoy! Hope you are have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete