Thursday, February 3, 2022

What's for Dinner? February 3, 2022

 Good Rainy Morning!

Looks like we are in for a soaker.  Mabel got me up way too early this morning (5 a.m. when I had not gone to bed until after midnight).  I was up later doing some work (yes, work at 10 p.m. but that's why I can be flexible and go grocery shopping on a week day morning), talking to the kids (who are bracing for 20 degree weather!!), and assorted other things.

Anyway, we had a new cake last night, but before I get to that I will tell you about my day yesterday.  I did go to the office and was there maybe an hour.  I managed to do what I wanted to do, went through the snail mail that had come in for me or my bosses (most of it went right into the trash can).  There were a few other folks in the office, but other than saying hi as I walked by a conference room where a (small) meeting was going on, I didn't see or speak to anyone.  Just the way I like it!

After the office I journeyed over to Gateway (a strip shopping center).  Went to JoAnn's and secured the DMC floss I need for Adam & Eve and went to the state store.  I had to get this wine for the label:


Colin planned to have bees, but moving to Texas has put a hold on those plans.  This is a nice Spanish red and went very nicely with dinner (grilled hot and sweet Italian sausage, sauteed onions, peppers & mushrooms).

Next up was a visit to Trader Joe's next door to the state store.  Like we didn't buy enough groceries on Tuesday.  But, our fresh produce was light, so I mainly got fresh veggies, some lemons & limes, some dried coconut (Fletch uses that in the trail mix he keeps around).  And oh boy!  I also found pretzels filled with almond butter and then coated in dark chocolate.  Probably not a good thing that I bought those!  I couldn't pass up getting some flowers to brighten things in the house.


I swear, TJ's carries the BEST flowers and they always last much, much longer than any others that I get at other grocery stores or even florists.  They always have a great selection and prices are much lower than anywhere else.

My afternoon ended up busy work-wise, but I did find time to make a "fluffy lemon yogurt cake."  I used this recipe:



and it came together quickly and easily.  My pan was 9" and I did grease it and line it with parchment (neither of which are mentioned in the recipe).  I dusted it with confectioners sugar and voila!


We tried it for dessert and it is good.  I would not call it great and there are other lemon recipes I like more.  But, it was fun to try something new.  When I cut our pieces, mine tipped over and lost some of the sugar topping.


But it was still tasty!  I like the fact that it is not a huge cake.  It hardly rose at all and is more dense than I expected.

Lest you all think that all we do around here is eat cake, the chocolate olive oil cake that I made over the weekend has been sliced and individual slices wrapped and put in the freezer.  This cake has now joined the chocolate in the freezer.

Well, time for me to get working.  I've my usual Thursday financial reports to run and send out.  Fingers and toes crossed that the weather in TX will not be bad.  Last year in the deep freeze in TX folks lost not only power, but also water.  For a week or more!  So, C&M have filled all their water bottles as well as one of their bathtubs just as a preemptive strike.  Hopefully totally unnecessary.

It's Friday Eve, so really just about the weekend!!

19 comments:

  1. I often buy wine for the labels and that is a great one! Sending good thoughts to C&M that they don't lose power and water. I just heard a piece on NPR revisiting what happened in TX a year ago but all the authorities interviewed said that the power grid is ready to withstand whatever occurs this time. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic wine label! I am with Bonny and hoping that the power holds in Texas! (at least for C&M... I think Greg Abbots power could go out permanently! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I frequently buy wine just for the label. And I've found some great wines that way! My current favorite is a New Zealand sauvignon blanc called Prophecy. It's delish and has a pretty label.

    I hope the kids don't have any major issues, but I have to say that I don't have much faith in the state government in Texas. We are all home here today and are waiting for the wintry mix to pass through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We buy wine for the labels (or even just a clever name) sometimes, too! It's a great way to try some new wines, methinks. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) We had snow all day yesterday . . . ended up well over a foot. I think - in February - I'd prefer snow to rain. But next month? Rain only, please! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty label, and I like tempranillos. They're so drinkable and fruit-forward. They pair nicely with foods, too. If you like red blends and cab sauvs, we've found Z. Alexander Brown to be very good, and the labels feature owls.

    Fingers crossed for your kids in TX. We're expecting 8-10 here, but we know how to handle that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lemon cake looks so good! If I hadn't stuck a bunch of potatoes in the crockpot (still no oven) for dinner already I might have mixed up a cake today myself. It would have smelled better on this gray, rainy day than roasting potatoes for sure. Those flowers are beautiful. This is the time of year I would be tempted to buy some flowers too. The Valentine's selections are always so beautiful and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a busy day yesterday! I agree wholeheartedly about Trader Joe's flowers. I don't know what it is, but they last so much longer and are less expensive. I do wish we had one closer. I have to drive all the way across Omaha to shop there. I like their produce a lot too. In Spokane, it was less than five minutes from our house. I miss that.
    I'm praying that the storm won't be too bad for anyone. It sounds like it could be a doozy.
    Have a great Thursday Vera!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake does look tasty! You sure do keep busy. It's been rainy here but nothing like those cold temps and snow elsewhere. Love your header. Is that Mabel up there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having treats frozen for drop-in guests or for a treat with a cup of tea/coffee is fabulous. Wish I could pop in and enjoy a slice of cake. 😉 Fresh flowers brighten a winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friday eve LOL. I love that you call it that State Store. We have those too although you can buy wine in the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, does that lemon cake look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lemon cake sounds good.

    I printed out a recipe for 2 ingredient bread -- self-rising flour and yogurt. It is supposed to make a naan like bread. We'll see. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. we love both trader joes and whole foods because of certain things but I end up buying way more food that week if I do those stores! Good thing we are barely eating out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And by now it is the weekend. Trader Joe's flowers are absolutely the best. Word from our family in Fort Worth is they are working from home because of the ice but do have power and water. Last winter was a nightmare. May your kids in Austin be safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our only visit to Trader Joe's was when sis was in pittsburgh hospital. Very nice selections but all the TJ brand packaged/canned organic soups and such were not liked at all. Frozen entrees were great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Thank you for nice information
    Please visit our website unimuda and uhamka"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, on the off chance that you are thinking about these things, what you really want is a free staple gift voucher. This staple gift voucher will empower you to have free food at your most advantageous time since you have the right to get a portion of the significant things that you want.mexican grocery

    ReplyDelete
  18. Healthfully ghee is made essentially out of immersed fats. Whether this is beneficial thing or something terrible is still under banter by mainstream researchers (isn't all that matters), who have as of late tracked down certain perspectives to immersed fats. cold pressed mustard oil

    ReplyDelete
  19. The most ideal way to take apple juice vinegar is not long previously or with your dinner. One tablespoon blended in with water works best however make a point to utilize the natural assortment, which actually has the chemicals in it. Home remedies for loose motion

    ReplyDelete