Friday, July 20, 2018

TGIF 7-20-18

Good Morning!


Gosh, it's a beautiful morning in Eastern PA.  Actually a little chilly on my patio this morning.  I felt so badly - when I opened the patio door this morning to let Tyg in there was a doe under our apple tree nosing around.  The deer always feast on our apples each year and this year we have almost none!  The few on the tree (maybe a dozen?) are only golf ball size.  Usually we have enough that Fletch and I make a ton of applesauce and the deer dine on the rest.


We are, however, getting carrots from our garden!  Fletch picked these last night.




Nice and skinny!!  We tried one the other week and it was very sweet.  Hopefully these will be just as good.


Look at the size of this bean:





This is from Zhongren's garden (Mailing's Dad).  A monster bean - lol.


I had planned to cast on my sweater Wednesday night, but our power went off a little before 8 p.m. and didn't come back on till 9:30 or so.  Supposedly PECO was working on "infrastructure."


Finally I finished Enchantress of Numbers which I cannot recommend.  What a slog!  The story is interesting, but the book was just so slow and (in my opinion) focused for too long on Ada's early childhood.  Yesterday I started reading The Essex Serpent but haven't gotten far enough into it to make any judgement.


Today's plan is to get through my two conference calls this morning and leave work by Noon or 1 p.m.  I plan to stop and get my hair cut (trimmed) on the way home (and maybe I will have to stop in at Marshall's....) and then I have the afternoon to myself!  Fletch and Colin are spending the day together - taking a hike and watching a movie - and I plan to rendezvous with them for dinner at Colin & Mailing's (home-made pizza!!).  Perhaps I'll be able to cast on my sweater this afternoon?  Fingers crossed.


OK, my first call is in 20 minutes, so I need to get ready for that.  Wishing you all a great Friday and a wonderful weekend - Enjoy!!





14 comments:

  1. Hope your short day is smooth and you get home for some knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very jealous of your carrots. I got a bag from the grocery store and they are the most pale, tasteless carrots ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One bean feeds the whole family???? LOL

    Have a great weekend and we'll see you on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know what you think of Essex Serpent. I read it earlier this year and finished it (so there's that) and parts I definitely liked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you've left work by the time you read this comment ... and started that sweater! That bean cracks me up - it does look like you'd need just a few to make a meal. Have a great weekend, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm....carrots right out of the ground are so good. I sure miss Daddio's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one long green bean! Pizza for dinner - always an A+ on my agenda; I seriously have to tell myself NO! Enjoy your new knitting project and the weekend. Looks like we're in for a bit o' rain...beats the heat!
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrots and those beans, oh my! I hope your homemade pizza this evening is just the beginning of a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's quite a bean. I love fresh carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fresh-from-the-garden carrots are SO good! Yours look just beautiful -- and tasty. :-) I liked The Essex Serpent -- interesting book! (And not at all sloggy.) Have a great weekend, Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bean seems like it should go in a museum or something! I hope you enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your carrots look so delish.. there really is nothing like a fresh pulled carrot. That is some bean! I hope your conference calls were quick and productive and that you got to get into your free weekend time fast! I'm reading "The Perfect Couple" by Elin Hilderbrand.. looked like a good summer read, set on Nantucket. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bean is just too much. I"VE Never seen one like that

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love sweet carrots -- something you don't find at the grocery store. And that bean is truly amazing!
    I enjoyed Essex Serpent. I could be a bit shorter, but overall it's an engaging read. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete