Monday, June 11, 2018

Wet Monday

Hello All,


What can I say?  More rain here.  Two of the roads I take to work were closed this morning due to flooding.  Fletch mopped up 3 buckets of water in the basement last night.  The ground is so saturated!  And it is chilly again - 58 this morning. 


But, on to more pleasant things.  Sock # 1 of my Sunflower socks is finished!




I love it!  And the heel fits and feels great.  YAY!  I forgot to mention the other week that these socks are actually reversible!  The inside is a basket weave pattern:




I did not carry the pattern onto the foot, so the entire foot is just purl stitches on the wrong side.  Sorry these pictures aren't the greatest - it was grey and rainy yesterday afternoon and pretty dark.  The second sock has been started - the ribbing is done and I knit about 8 rows after that.


Saturday turned out to be a nice day.  My brother and sister-in-law came up in the early afternoon and Colin and Mailing showed up a little later.  Colin grilled burgers, made coleslaw and oven fries.  Thank goodness we could eat outside because the kitchen got very, very smoky from the oven fries.  They also brought over 3 different types of fresh sauerkraut from the Lansdale Farmer's Market.  One was curried, one was apple & fennel and I forget the 3rd kind.  I put the curried one on my burger and it was wonderful.  And my SIL made home-made rolls for the burgers.  The Cardamom Tea Cake did not turn out that great.  It seemed too dry to me and not flavorful enough.  Colin texted me this morning that he had a piece toasted with peanut butter that was really good.  Meanwhile the rhubarb sorbet was (and still is) delicious!  I will definitely make that again.


On the reading front I started Never Caught which I'm enjoying very much.  It is about Ona Judge, a slave who was owned by George & Martha Washington, who escaped.  Interesting reading.


That's it for this rainy, dreary Monday.  I would have preferred to stay home for sure!  Hope everyone's week is off to a great start.

13 comments:

  1. CTGT (commenting to get comments)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no.......a wet basement is no fun. We have had to run two dehumidifiers for weeks downstairs and that's in addition to the whole house AC to dry the place out. I've had the windows open and the AC on just to get some decent air to breathe. Ugh...and more rain today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CTGT AGAIN...this time hitting notify. Grrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a gloomy, rainy weekend, too, Vera. So I can commiserate with you! Your socks, though, look wonderfully bright and cheery. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were with family! Yeah!!!! Our gloomy weekend ...same here. I thought summer was glad to be here, but she obviously went elsewhere . TOday we should improve an dsome 80s in the forecast ahead. Hooray i love 80s

    ReplyDelete
  6. We needed SOME rain, but having this gloomy, wet, cloudy front stalled over us is ... ugh. And the obnoxiously noisy gasline project makes being a prisoner of my house more of a hostage situation.

    The fresh sauerkraut sounds so good. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those socks! And reversible - they are a two-fer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that sock! So summery!

    Glad you had a good time with family and that the weather held off so you could enjoy time outside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sock is awesome! I'm sorry Monday is off to such a wet start, I'm sure the commute was unpleasant at best ... good thing you had some great weekend memories to offset that pain :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could share some of our weather. It's been perfect - sunny and dry, but not too hot. I wish it could stay like this all summer.
    The sock looks fantastic! I should consider a reversible sock pattern for Dave - he almost always has one sock on inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sock turned out great-what a nice marriage of sock pattern and yarn! Sorry for the soggy weather!

    ReplyDelete