Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Unraveled Wednesday 9/23/26

 Hello!

And greetings from the still dark Eastern PA region.  It's been a sleepy kind of week with cloudy skies and rain and cooler temps.  Each afternoon Iris tucks some of her friends (Bunny, Dodo [a dog], Marcella [a mouse], Blueberry [a cat] and Doll [an Amish style doll that was mine] under a blanket so that they can nap while she does too.  So darn cute!

Now it is Wednesday and time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers for Unraveled Wednesday.

While Iris naps I either knit or read.  I would love to nap, but Iris tends to roll some and she naps on the couch.  Yesterday she almost rolled off!  Quick Grandma hands grabbed her before she plummeted!  What is surprising is the amount that I am able to get done:


Fletcher's Birthday Socks were finished yesterday around 1:30 - including weaving in ALL the ends!!  I am so pleased with the way they turned out and I sure hope Fletch likes them.  And I already wrapped them this morning!!

The Farmer's Daughter August Sock Squad yarn (color way Harvest Lantern) was used for the main color and the olive or loden green parts.  The cuff and toes were knit using a mini skein I bought at the NJ Sheep and Wool several years ago.  I love the name of the color way - American Robin.

Last night I cast on for a pair of socks for Iris.  The cuffs will be American Robin and the main color is a dark red.  Hopefully these will knit up quickly.

My reading seems to have stalled a bit.  I was reading a library book and actually got through 150+ pages when I decided that it was just a ridiculous story and was not something I enjoyed.  I returned that yesterday morning on my way to Colin's.  I tried to start another book from the library and looked at a third and neither are appealing at this point.  I will return those this morning.  Yikes!  Am I in a reading funk?  Or slump?

Local Wonders is still providing good entertainment and waiting on my desk is The Wheeling Year.  There are also several books that I have started but not yet finished on my nightstand (including Braiding Sweetgrass and Amy Tan's Backyard Birds), so I am not without reading material.  I just can't seem to settle in on any fiction that I am enjoying.  I have not yet finished John of John (I keep forgetting to listen to it which tells you something).  And I have what I think (hope) are some good books that I am in the queue for at my library.  I am trusting that my funky slump will end soon!

Meanwhile, tell me what you are making and reading!

4 comments:

  1. Fletch's socks look just perfect! I hope he likes them, but how could he not? I'm sorry about your reading slump, but trust that it will pass, soon I hope. Keep up those quick Grandma hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are fantastic socks -- Fletch will love them, I'm sure! I wish I had a sure-fire book recommendation for you. Today I'll be turning back to Olga Dies Dreaming; I'd read the first chapter when I got Exit Party from the library, so I put it aside. Not sure yet if I'd recommend it, but the first chapter was pretty amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great birthday socks for Fletch, Vera! They look so perfect for him, and I imagine he'll love them. XO I'll bet it's fun for you to knit for Iris while you watch her sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good catch gramma! My reading is in a bit of a funk here too.

    ReplyDelete