Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Unraveled Wednesday 9/2/26

 Hello My Friends,

Hoo-Boy it is hot and humid this morning.  Not what I consider to be typical September weather (but who knows?  That could be changing...).  We had a lovely thunderstorm last night which cooled things down for a short while.  I was hoping to fall asleep to the rain, but it ended before I went to bed.  But...nonetheless...I slept much better than the night before and I am thankful for that.

And now it is Wednesday and time to link up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers to talk all things making and reading.  Everyone always shares such interesting and fun projects and a wealth of books is explored.  So hop in and enjoy!

If you keep up with my blog then you already know that I finished the Honky Tonk Shortie Socks last week.  Needing something on the needles for easy knitting whilst Iris naps, I cast on for another pair of socks (naturally).  These will be for Fletch's birthday which is later this month...so I need to stay focused and get them done!


This is the start of the first sock.  The two solid colors (and the green is like a dark olive or loden green - very pretty) are the selections from The Farmer's Daughter August Sock Squad.  The variegated yarn that I used for the cuff is from another dyer (I can't remember who) that I picked up at a fiber festival (I think NJ a few years ago).  The color way is "American Robin" and I love how it blends with the two solid colors.

My Semplice shawl has been on my mind.  I really need to pick that up and finish it...I'm not far from the end.  But with a 4 stitch increase every other row, the rows keep getting longer and longer!  And though I like the pattern, I'm not thrilled with the color I chose.  Oh well.  Sometimes that happens.

Reading continues apace.  I did finish Country People by Daniel Mason.  The book started off great for me - lots of laugh out loud sections and the quirkiness of Vermonters came through.  But, after a bit it just felt ridiculous and a little stupid to me.  North Woods by Mason is a much better book in my opinion.

Next up I read Winter: The Story of a Season by Val McDermid.  What a delight this little book was.  I could have read it in one sitting but someone was hankering for dinner (not me).  This little gem was charming and cozy and made me look forward to winter days!

I am also continuing to listen to John of John by Douglas Stuart, but it is a slow listen for me.  My mind tends to wander while listening to this book and even though I'm keeping an open mind, I'm not really into this one at all.  But, I will continue to listen and hope that it gets better for me.  Our discussion is next week I think, so I'd best get moving on it.

Fletch and I did start listening to The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchman, but we both are having difficulty getting into it, following it, and not falling asleep while listening!  I think we will go with another book.

What are you making and reading this week?


5 comments:

  1. I love the start of Fletch's sock! You inspired me to reconsider that skein! I really loved Val McDermid's little book on Winter. And I just got Ted Kooser's The Wheeling Year! I am going to get that started this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great sock start! I agree that North Woods is a superior book, but I also enjoyed Country People -- I think the key is not taking it too seriously. I hope you'll stick with John of John. I think it really redeems itself in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new socks are off to a great start--nice way to use the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one handsome sock! It's ridiculously hot here too. I'm waiting (and hoping) for a thunderstorm they just warned us of. I know it won't cool anything off. Tomorrow might be 100 (!) but I really don't want to go out and water trees in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did love Country People but it did get unhinged in the end.

    ReplyDelete