Thursday, October 11, 2018

Three on Thursday 10-11-18

Good Morning!


I have the luxury of an extra hour plus at home this morning due to a dermatologist appointment at 8:40.  It's the perfect morning to be lazy...gentle rain just beginning - though much heavier rain forecast for later.  Gosh it is STILL HOT - 80 degrees at 6 a.m.  And HUMID.  However, there is the "promise" of Fall-like weather following this storm.  One can only hope.


Meanwhile, I thought I would share three things from the garden this morning.  We have several Burning Bushes on our property and none of them are terribly colorful (yet??).  Usually they start off by getting red on the top and then that gradually moves down.  This year, however, the one by our shed is trying to imitate a skunk!  It has a red stripe going down the side.




Next up are the tomatoes Fletch planted at the normal time.  When we left for vacation there had only been two or three tomatoes that showed up and they rotted on the vine before ripening.  When we got home this is what we saw:




Tomatoes all over (there were many more, but I have a HUGE bowl of tomatoes on the kitchen counter), but almost no foliage.  Weird!  Also weird - the color of the tomatoes - more orange than red.  I have not tried them yet.  Fletch had one and said it wasn't that great.  But, I figure I can use the bounty in soups and stews.  And, hopefully, make some fried green tomatoes!


Last, I love this picture of our picnic table.  The petunia had been hanging on our patio, but it was ailing/failing, so Fletch just plopped it on the table and put another hanging basket on the patio.  Again, we came back from vacation to find this gem blooming like crazy!  The little pumpkin is one of the volunteers we had and the bird statue is from a friend (thanks Carol!).




That's it for me today.  Hope you are all doing well.

12 comments:

  1. I think this was just a weird year for gardens ... but fresh tomatoes in October are still a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "Still Life With Petunia!" Sometimes . . . just letting nature take its course is the best course in a garden! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got the same thing going on in my garden! Hardly any leaves on the tomatoes or beans, but orangey tomatoes and some beans on the plants. I can't tear the plants out because they're still producing, but they look so bad that I'm yanking them out this weekend if it's not too muddy. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This weather is horrible, horrible, horrible. When they say the world is coming to an end in just 20 some years I believe it. My forest is dying. The difference in just a few years is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there is the answer to all your gardening problems....go away on vacation! LOL

    That little pumpkin is so darned sweet (and perfectly round).

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather has been horrible for gardening this year. Too much rain & not enough sun. The fruit explodes or rots before the sun ever has a chance to ripen it. Glad your petunia is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The return from vacation is always interesting when viewing the garden!
    The hanging petunia is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice that you had a bit of a break this morning, I hope the dr. appt. was positive. Enjoy your Indian Summer time! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is so so cold and windy here. Im trying hard to stay chipper but I feel summer was too cool mostly and went to quickly here.......We worked outside prepping for our first frost tonight. I LOVE your volunteer pumpkin !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I visited various websites however the audio feature for audio songs current at this website is really excellent.
    D2bet

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like the picnic table is the sweet spot!! hope your doctor visit went okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catching up as usual. Loved seeing your vacation report. you hit some great stores! Rhinebeck really is a cute town, worth a visit even without the Sheep and Wool Festival. I haven't gone to the yarn and tea store yet, but I want to! Sounds like your vacation was great! I got bored with My Brilliant Friend too! I got maybe 30% of the way and gave up. Weird how everyone else seems to love the series.

    ReplyDelete