Friday, August 24, 2018

TGIF 08-24-18

Good Friday Morning!


A crisp morning here (58 according to my phone; 62 by the patio thermometer) - very refreshing.  I am thankful the weekend is here.  I have a number of things I want/need to accomplish, but believe it is all manageable.


Colin was over for dinner last night (grilled hot & sweet sausage, home-made sweet potato fries, sautéed yellow squash, onions, peppers and mushrooms) and the night was so pleasant we enjoyed a fire around 8 p.m.  It was lovely.  Before dinner Colin went out to the garden to see if he could dig a couple of sweet potatoes.  These are larger than any Fletch has ever grown!




I hope they are not too tough!


Last night I managed to finish What She Ate which was just ok.  Interesting, but not compelling.  Six different women (including Eleanor Roosevelt, Eva Braun, Helen Gurly Brown [!]) and their relationship (or lack of) with food.


Still no knitting this week (ennui still, though I've also been very busy), but yesterday afternoon I started fooling around on Excel and started to design a shawl.  And then, of course, I came across several that might do the trick for me.  Shh! Wrap is one of them.  and although it calls for sport weight, I think I could finagle it in fingering.  I need to do some math.  The other is Haast by Clare Devine.


Besides the "normal" chores of the weekend, I plan to get to Hill's Seafood Market.  Fletch loves bluefish (me?  Not so much) and it has not been available in our grocery stores.  Hoping to find some to cook up for him.  Hill's is also the one place I know I can get crawfish meat (cleaned) and I've been in the mood for some crawfish etouffee.  Sunday I'll need to pack for Hilton Head (hopefully including a yarny project of interest!).


Our weather is supposed to be fairly pleasant through the weekend...then soaring into the 90's again by Monday.  I have a car picking me up at 6:30 a.m. for my flight Monday morning, so I will miss Philly's HHH weather - but I'm sure it will be HOT on Hilton Head as well.


Whatever your plans - enjoy the weekend!

17 comments:

  1. I was hoping that pre-fall weather had arrived to stay, so I'm sad to see next week's return to HHH. But this brief respite is very nice!

    Crawfish etouffee sounds delicious, and I hope you have a wonderful time in Hilton Head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was 63 degrees here this morning ... heaven! I love that Ssh! Wrap and certainly think you could use your fingering weight. This project https://www.ravelry.com/projects/furgie1218/shh-wrap is knit in what I might even call a light fingering (I've used it several times) and I think it looks wonderful. Good luck - and safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have socks on. SOCKS!! Where did the heat go? I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're getting the same respite weather at present, with the same forecast. :-(

    Your garden is loving the summer weather even if you aren't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving our “fall” weather too...what a treat! Your weekend plans sound good and relaxing...sure you'll come up with a knitting - take along. Do enjoy your weekend, trip to Hilton Head. Looking forward to the recap.
    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least in Hilton Head you'll have ocean breezes. Hope you enjoy your trip!!

    See you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive sweet potatoes! Crawfish are tasty, but what a lot of work to get to the meat.

    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've enjoyed the respite from air conditioning, and sleeping with the windows open, but change is on the way (and not for the better)! I love that Haast wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I took the day off from work because today was supposed to be so nice, and next week so awful. I'm enjoying my day.

    Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll bet you'll be surprisingly comfortable in Hilton Head. Those ocean breezes make all the difference in the world! Enjoy -- and here's to a productive weekend, with some relaxing thrown in just for good measure. XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s 58 here this morning and the smoke is a little better today. Alas, the weather girl said it will only last a few hours and then the smoke will be back for at least another week. I hope you have a lovely weekend and I’m glad you found some knitting to interest you. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love bluefish. We had tons of them in the Bay and my mom used to catch me a freezer full every summer. We don't have them anymore. When they re-introduced the rockfish the blues disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are still hot and disgusting here. Staying inside all weekend unless it is late in the afternoon and I take Little Buddy in the pool. Both those shawls are beautiful, good luck on whichever one you pick to make.

    ReplyDelete
  14. we got a couple nice days of weather, now we're back to hot and stupid. This summer has been the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just bought the Shh!, Shawl and some yarn to make it! Ha! And that is the mood I am in !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you have fun in Hilton Head! I loved The Weight of Ink. :D My knitting is being difficult right now, so I get what you're going through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. that weather was fabulous and too short. Right now it's muggy and I'm all inside resenting the return of summer. I hope you have fun in HH.

    ReplyDelete