Monday, October 5, 2026

Weekending 10/5/26

 Good Morning My Friends,

So, October is here!  I took a few days off from blogging and October snuck right in.  The garden is definitely looking spent and I may have picked the last (or next to the last) zinnias.  After a few days in the house they are looking weary as well, but still pretty.


They kind of blend right in with my Fall themed tablecloth.

Well, after successfully avoiding chores for a couple of weeks, Thursday found me jumping right into them.  And, there was lots to do.  Bathrooms were scrubbed, shower curtains washed, towels washed, sheets changed and sheets washed.  You get the idea.  And Friday morning found me back at it dealing with a very dirty kitchen floor.  Luckily my massage booked for 10:30 Friday morning put an end to doing chores!

My massage was wonderful!  Pure bliss.  Mallory, my massage therapist seems to know exactly where to focus her attention.  I had been having some awful headaches for close to two weeks, and I walked out after my massage completely headache free!

Friday afternoon I went to a local nursery and picked up more mums for the front area as well as a couple of pumpkins.  I also got a Black Futsu Pumpkin which is a type of rare Japanese heirloom winter squash.



I LOVE winter squash and I'm looking forward to trying this one.  Last week we had an Autumn Frost squash which is a new one to me.  It is a cross between a butternut and kabocha squash and is very, very tasty.

There was also a little bit of excitement here as somehow a sparrow ended up in the house!  Fletch called to me and there it was sitting on a curtain rod in the living room.  Not sure if Mabel brought it in or if it flew in on its own when a door was open.  We were not successful in capturing it but have not seen or heard it since.  Hopefully it found its way out - we left doors open for a little bit.  Hopefully it is not dead under a piece of furniture - I guess we will know in a little bit if an awful stench is suddenly present!

Saturday was another beautiful day where we ended up at Colin & Mailing's for dinner and an evening fire.  It was the perfect evening for sitting around a fire.  Sunday was a somewhat wet and lazy day.

How was your weekend?


7 comments:

  1. I love your fall-themed tablecloth! (and I love how the zinnias blend right in!) Squash sounds so good... I am going to see what the farmer's market might have available this weekend! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say you more than earned that massage after all the cleaning! This morning I cleared out a little bit of the front garden area -- but I finally have some zinnias blooming! We've got the threat of frost this week, though, so maybe I'll cut them and bring them inside to enjoy. Of all the things that could get into the house, a sparrow sounds the least worrisome, especially after our next-door neighbors had a bat a couple of weeks ago (shudder). Happy Monday and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the zinnias are pretty and they do blend right in! A bird in the house is a little concerning, but it is far better than a bat. (That's what we end up with in the house about twice a year.) It seems like I'm always surprised with how much time it takes me to thoroughly clean the bathroom, and wash all the towels and bedding. But your chores are all done and you've had a massage, so I hope your Monday is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a pot of zinnias this year and they are looking a little weary too. They were fun while they lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers and beautiful looking squash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zinnias are the flowers that keep on giving. Yours do look lovely against that tablecloth. I keep bringing in small bouquets and I have plenty of dried flower heads saved in a brown paper bag for next year. I truly hope the little sparrow found it's way out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet Mabel will find it if it is in the house!

    ReplyDelete