Monday, September 7, 2026

Weekending 9/7/26

 Good Morning!

Happy Labor Day!  It's a long weekend here in the States, but honestly since retirement it's hard for me to keep track.  I will tell you that the weather has been just about perfect.  Sunny days but low humidity and modest temps - I think the high temp yesterday was 78.  I've had a few texts from the kids who are out in Pittsburgh and it looks equally beautiful there.  They've had fun meeting friends for meals, visiting Phipps and the Aviary and then yesterday they took off hiking/backpacking in the Laurel Highlands.  They will come home today.

Do you remember how the other week I said I thought the beans were winding down?  I was wrong.  LOL


Saturday afternoon I wandered out to the garden to get some parsley.  This is what I came back with.  The yellow beans completely filled (to bursting) a gallon zip lock bag.  There was a quart bag of green beans, some cherry tomatoes and the parsley is on the top.  And a cucumber too!  All of the beans and the cucumber have found their way to C&M's house.

Yesterday afternoon I walked out to cut some flowers and came home with another basket full of beans!  HELP!!!  Today I will be cooking up a yellow and green bean casserole.

Yesterday I made Slow Cooker Italian Summer Soup using THIS RECIPE.  Wow was it good!  I used both yellow squash and zucchini and I also added some asparagus stalks we had.  This is a great recipe for cleaning out the fridge.  I think it would be great with hot Italian sausage rather than the sweet (or a combination of both), but I used sweet as I plan to leave a big container in C&M's fridge this morning for their return later today.  The sweet sausage is ok for Iris but the hot is a bit much for her.  On my way over to their house this morning to feed Talbot I will also stop and pick up a loaf of crusty bread to go with the soup.

I'm planning a few chores for today (bathrooms, laundry, etc.), but am hoping that the afternoon will find me with either a stitching needle in hand, or a pair of socks in progress in my lap.  Or both.  And a book too.  Probably a nap will occur as well.

Wishing you all a wonderful start to the week - enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. The weather here has been lovely as well. I will take these clear days with no humidity on a repeat loop! And that soup recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids definitely picked a great weekend to visit here -- Saturday was a bit cloudy, but yesterday was spectacular. I'm not surprised at how many beans you're still getting. We still have tons of green tomatoes on the vines, and all of my bell peppers still have yet to ripen! I hope you have a lovely, relaxing day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you reminded me, I have to go pick some beans! I haven't looked at the plant for a few days so there's probably more than enough for a meal! I'm pretty sure nothing stops the beans but cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning to make white bean soup today. Then I will take a long walk before sitting and knitting. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This weather is lovely and I need to get sheets out on the line to dry. John has planted so many beans that we've been eating them for a while and have blanched and frozen 30 quarts. I'm tired of beans but will be glad of them come winter. I hope you have an enjoyable Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you blanche and freeze the beans?

    ReplyDelete