Monday, July 20, 2026

Weekending 7/20/26

 Good Morning!

The skies have cleared and the smoky haze is no more.  Thank God.  And, temps have moderated.  This morning the air almost has a little nip to it which I am loving.


Our young visitor one morning.  You can spot the rear side of the mama doe at the bog area.  This little one was just so sweet.

How was your weekend?  Mine was good.  There was a lot of laundry and a big grocery shopping (still more of each of those needed).  I read a lot.  I did not get to knit or stitch, but I'm holding out hope for today.

More Glads have opened and the new ones are pink.  So pretty.


Some of the red stalks are falling over.  Surprisingly, the deer have not touched the ones that have fallen over the fence.  Perhaps they prefer the apples that keep falling from our tree.  I also picked our first cherry tomatoes (ours are the "Sun Gold" variety).


Last night we went over to Colin & Mailing's for dinner.  Colin grilled chicken and romaine lettuce (I had forgotten how good grilled lettuce is!) and had made a wonderful pasta salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, chick peas and Kalamata olives.  We took over an almond cake I had made in the morning.  It was so nice that we had a fire in the pit after dinner.  That seemed odd coming off our smoke-filled recent days, but it was fun and felt good too.

Right now I have potatoes and eggs cooking on the stove.  Later I will make potato salad to go with our dinner.  There are a few errands I want to run this morning, but otherwise my day is free.  I'm holding off on chores (bathrooms) until tomorrow.  It feels weird to not be going over to watch Iris after 2 straight weeks of non-stop watching.  But a little break is nice too.  I'll be back to watching on Wednesday and Friday of this week.

Here's hoping your weekend was a good one and that Monday morning finds you ready to face a new week!

8 comments:

  1. Look at that sweet baby! I'm glad the deer have been sticking to being cute and not eating your flowers. I wish I could say the same for the bunnies living in our front yard -- they've eaten most of our zinnias! I hope you're able to get your errands done quickly this morning so you can use your free day for some knitting/stitching and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been seeing the deer frequently too (I have water available for them) and we have one regular raccoon who likes the more protected water dish I have out for squirrels and rabbits. I have a mountain of sheets to wash today. I am glad your garden is growing so well! Those tomatoes look delicious! Have a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deer are sweet, especially when they're not eating things that you'd rather they not nibble. It does feel lovely and cool this morning which is quite nice for a late July morning. I'm glad you've got a "day off" from watching Iris today, but it's also nice that you'll see her on Weds. and Fri. Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. for some reason the deer here do not eat the glads, they eat everything else, ha ha ha. I hope you rest up for the rest of the babysitting days. We watch our two tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grilled romaine sounds wonderful. Sadly, there is a wasp nest near our bbq so we are on hold for outdoor cooking until we can get that resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was nice to wake up to some decent temperatures and no smoke this morning. It's not going to last here for long though. Tomorrow is supposed to be another scorcher with chances for storms. One brought down a big tree at the top of our driveway on Saturday night. The neighborhood had to get the chainsaws out. It took some team work to get it cleared. Up at Daughter's lightning hit the rec center around the corner and set in on fire. It was quite the weekend...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear you don't have the smoke - we still have a little - but nowhere near as bad as it was. Your glads are very pretty and I love the deer! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you put eggs in your potato salad? I did when I last made it, and Tim had never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete