Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Unraveled Wednesday 7/22/26

 Good Morning!

Despite some thunderstorms late in the day yesterday, it is still extremely muggy.  Ugh!  And, not that much rain fell here - less than third of an inch by our rain gauge.

Before I get back to watching Iris today, it's time for linking up with Kat and her Merry Band of Unravelers for an Unraveled Wednesday post.  No, I still have not knit or started anything new, and I did not pick up Semplice.  I did, however, make a catnip toy for Talbot using the too-small-sock I knit.


After getting rid of all the stems and sticks from the dried catnip, there wasn't really enough for two toys.  Anyway, Mabel has her REAL plant outside!  I took the too-small-sock and tucked the cuff end down into the rest of the sock so it would have a double thickness, stuffed it with the dried leaves and then sewed it shut.  Hopefully Talbot will like it.  I'll take it to him this morning.

Since I last posted about reading, I have finished two books.  I read Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin.  I don't know why this book never crossed my path previously - so many have read it and loved it.  Food memoirs are one of my favorite genres to read.  However, I did not really care for this book.  None of her recipes appealed to me and I found myself disagreeing with many things she said about food and cooking.  Oh well, to each their own.  I'm glad to have read it anyway.

Next up I read Land by Maggie O'Farrell which many of you have already read.  I think most of you will be very surprised to learn that I absolutely loved this book!  Yes it was bleak and harrowing in places.  Certainly no good fortune but plenty of bad luck.  Yet, I found myself responding to how resilient the characters are and I even found the book hopeful in a way.  I thought the ending was great.  I also kept thinking about how strong the female characters are that O'Farrell creates - not only Rose and Enda and Phina, but also Agnes from Hamnet and Lucrezia from The Marriage Portrait.

Now I'm almost finished another book - much less intense than Land and I'll be able to talk about that one next week.  Fletch and I only have a couple of hours left in our listening to The Old Ways by Robert Macfarlane.  I've already downloaded The Wild Places by Macfarlane for our next listen.

What have you been up to in the making department and what have you been reading?

6 comments:

  1. It stormed here all night but no damage this time around. Just a lot of rain and thunder. All this rain has given me a terrible headache. I don't see today being very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got a good amount of rain yesterday and it's much cooler here today. The dew point is supposed to drop into the 40s tonight! I hope the cooler, less-humid weather heads your way next.

    I think that toy for Talbot is a clever use of the failed sock. So glad you liked Land! I was a little unsatisfied with the ending, but I think it did end in a good place and did feel hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous way to repurpose your ill-fitting sock, Vera! I'll bet Talbot will love it -- the catnip will see to that. ;-) I basically agree with you about Land . . . it certainly did highlight the resilience and strength of the characters (and the ending was kinda magical). For me, though, it lost its way from the book it set out to be in the first parts. I wanted more of the "land magic!" But, boy . . . that Maggie O'Farrell can write, can't she???

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a lot of thunder yesterday but no rain, also, thankfully no tornadoes. It feels extra humid this morning! Not every cat is lucky enough to receive a handknit catnip toy, so I hope Talbot appreciates his. Sometimes Nugget uses hers as a pillow. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy Home Cooking, but you certainly cook well and often without Laurie Colwin. Land wasn't for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had intermittent rain yesterday but did not get much rain overall, maybe a half inch or so. But that rain washed out all the smoke! And yesterday's mugginess vanished this morning... it is gorgeous out and Frankie and I took total advantage and went for a good long walk this morning! I hope you and Iris are having a grand time! XO

    ReplyDelete