Thursday, October 8, 2026

Yet Another Surprise! 10/8/26

 Hello Friends,

This will be quick as I am off to see Iris shortly.  But, I wanted to share with you all that I did make the French Apple Cake.  Oh my!  I highly suggest that everyone make this.


I did not have the rum the recipe calls for so I doubled the vanilla as the recipe suggests.  YUMMY!  You can find the link to the recipe on Kat's blog.

Next up, more blooms:  more on the apple tree and then I noticed honeysuckle blooming again at the side of our property.  

The big surprise though was that a hawk landed in our apple tree for a bit!  Then it flew off only to come back to our property through our woods.  We could hear him calling (Fletch says trying to scare up something - a mouse? a mole? - I think he scared everything off!).  Fletch is pretty sure it is a Cooper's hawk - striped tail and slightly smaller than other hawks.  Whatever it was, it was gorgeous.

Okay, time to dry my hair and get dressed and have more coffee!  Have a wonderful Thursday.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy that apple cake and I hope you have a good day with Iris, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love apple cake. I haven't made it yet this year but I need to. I used to bake it in the crockpot during the pandemic when I had no kitchen because of the interrupted re-model. It worked surprisingly well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that cake looks yummy! It's always exciting to see a hawk in the yard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't going to make the cake because I don't have rum -- totally missed that could double the vanilla! I think I'm going to make apple cider donuts this weekend, but perhaps we'll do apple cake next weekend. It's certainly a good time of the year for apples!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Vera! That looks delicious! (and I have never put rum in... but it is really amazing with a dollop of apple brandy... just saying!) Have an amazing weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete