Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Unraveled Wednesday 1-23-19

Good Morning!

It is warmer today (33 degrees!!) and rain is in the forecast.  It is supposed to go up to 53 and I've already received texts and e-mails regarding potential flooding for the area.  It has been - and continues to be - a roller coaster of a winter.

This week has definitely seen more unraveling than I've done in a long, long time.


  • First up the Brookline Socks (free pattern on Ravelry) that Dee and I started knitting on Saturday did not work.
  • Then I tried a sockhead cowl - somehow I messed that up as well.
  • Next I picked different yarn and started Gladys socks (another freebie on Ravelry).  That did not work.
  • I had woken from a nap on Monday dreaming that I was doing some cross stitch so I pulled out several small pieces "in progress" to work on.  Last night I looked at the first and found a mistake I had made (long, long ago).  Ended up cutting that out of the linen.


Bottom line:  I need to LISTEN to the yarn.  My blue yarn with flecks of copper (Madtosh I believe) does not want to be a cowl.  My red yarn does not want to be socks.  So last night, using the red yarn, I cast on for a sockhead cowl.  Hopefully this one will cooperate!!  I've brought it to work and am looking forward to a nice lunch time (raw veggies and a little cheese) with knitting.


On the reading front I have not been doing much.  I'm still reading "As Bright as Heaven" and enjoying it...but haven't picked it up for several days.  Last night I started reading "Where the Crawdads Sing" on my Kindle...but I had only read 3 pages or so and my eyes began to close.

That's where I am this Wednesday - joining in with Kat and friends.  What are you up to?

19 comments:

  1. Sometimes the projects flow like water. And sometimes? Not so much! Hope your lovely red yarn is happy being a sockhead cowl! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raining here, too, but we're not getting the temps you are. I think my grocery run will be postponed until the rains let up a bit.

    Are you on a raw veg kick? I'm kind of on a fresh fruit jag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to wake up to some "normal" winter weather. The folks up north can keep that teen nonsense-and those winds too.
    I've had a few days off from the bedroom redo but today we are back to work-on the molding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on getting that yarn to cooperate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, you've had more than your share of fiber-related problems this week. I hope the red yarn decides to cooperate because it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some days you definitely rip more than you knit! Hopefully you're back on track now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We woke up to 7 inches of snow this morning. Dennis had shoveled before bed last night and then took the snowblower out before he went to work this morning. Thank heavens for that snowblower! This was a very heavy, heavy wet snow and I would not have wanted him to have to shovel it by hand.
    I knitted a blanket for the cats bed yesterday. She has decided she wants to sleep in a basket on the dining room table. That was a quick project and now I need to get back to Dennis’s socks. I have no idea why I am not enjoying them this time. I’ve made this pattern many times before. I think it’s because the yarn is so dark I can’t see it. I hope your cowl works out well this time. Happy Wednesday! Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that yarn told you the right thing! LOL! All I know is I love the color of it. Your lunch sounds so healthy.. I should have something similar but hubby is about to mash up an avocado and spread it on a toasted English muffin for me before I head off to swim. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Listen to the yarn" is GREAT advice ... now if we could only remember to DO that ;-) The red does look happier in its new project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Crawdads, too--I need to make time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get very anxious when I don't have a project going. It is unnecessary. Eventually I find my way with the yarn and a pattern but I get goofy in between!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I don't ever remember you having such problems, especially one after another. I'm glad you're a yarn whisperer. I burn things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steve and I went shop hopping up in Reading today. Cross Stitch store was a definite win. The two yarn shops ---- meh! I did find the needles I needed and a skein of yarn at the W. Reading shop, but nothing at the Oley shop. All in all though ..........good day with a delicious salad at a place called "Say CHEESE!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with listening to the yarn, sometimes the yarn is screaming and I'm totally deaf to the message. Lovely knitting you got there!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes yarn and pattern just don't dance well together but I find it hard to listen. Stay safe in all that rain. We are having wind and bitter cold today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy that I found your blog. Maybe thru the screen I'll learn to knit faster! I'm kind of slow at knitting. Love the color of your yarn and your advice is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It can be frustrating to keep trying to get a knit going sometimes!
    I have been doing a LOT of ripping lately but I am not discouraged! (yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh on all the ripping out! Sockhead cowls are great -- they are nice and snug fitting (I find cowls to be pretty silly otherwise), and they are also great mindless knits. I might start a third at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't you wish the yarn would talk to you before you start it in the wrong project?!

    ReplyDelete